The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1g dsm coilovers kit inquiry

oldman_tau

im in the market of purchasing a 1g dsm coilover kit, i heard the the top mount/camber plate is different. Can anyone confirm on this and is that the only issues i might be able to encounter? willing to take suggestions. thanks in advance

Last edited:

EMX5636

The front plate is turned 90* compared to a GVR4. You can use it, but I forget if you need to drill a hole, or the existing 4th one works in the Galant strut tower. The rears will be set up shorter for a DSM, but it won't matter if they have an adjustable body lenght like most coilovers now. You can just extend it to get the ride height even.

oldman_tau

thanks! because as much as possible i dont want to drill a hole on my chassis. Im thinking i might as well get a galant specific pillow mounts/camber plate to fix it.

would the galant vr4 pillow mounts fit the dsm coilovers? tnx

EMX5636

If it's the same brand (and IIRC Megan, K-Sport, D2 and BC should all interchange). If it's Ground Control, I think you'll have to stick with them or the RRE ones. Tein I'm not sure, probably just them.

ktmrider

Quoting oldman_tau:
thanks! because as much as possible i dont want to drill a hole on my chassis. Im thinking i might as well get a galant specific pillow mounts/camber plate to fix it.

You don't have to drill out another hole as mentioned, look at the GVR4 strut tower and you'll see an "extra" or unused one facing the front of the car ( generally has a rubber plug in it ). Take the plug out and voila you can use the TEL plates for camber instead of caster LOL.

citymunky

^yup 923/2000 have stock 1g suspension when I got. However unless you are picking up some Tein's or something, just pick up a GVR4 kit.

EMX5636

Thanks for the clarification KTM, I wasn't sure if that hole lined up or not as I have a GVR4 specific kit.

EMX5636

Hmm, hopefully one of the other guys using a DSM setup can chime in with some suggestions. Sorry I can't help with that part.

Lightning1

yeah, I have 1G RRE on my car, the last hole is about 1/4-1/2 inch off. You need to drill a new hole for it. not a big deal though, everything else works on it.

dsmless

Heres the diffrence between a dsm camber plate and a galant one, this is for tiens only dont know if its the same for other coilovers, note how the dsm one makes the camber go foward and aft as the galant ones make it go side to side

SouthCaliVR4

the front to back is "caster" in & out is Camber. using dsm plates will give you holy mother caster adjust but does nothing to affect camber & visa-versa.

dsmless

^^^^ correct, I just wanted to show the diffrences between the dsm and galant plates, and didnt want to get called out if I got the caster/camber wrong (I mix them up alot)

PreskitVR4

I did DSM kit on purpose so that I could have more caster. never really had a problem getting my desired 2+ degrees of negative camber.

EMX5636

That's true, a good set of camber bolts and lowering will get you 2-3* of neg camber. Did you notice any high speed stability running a bunch more positive caster?

turbowop

Quoting EMX5636:
That's true, a good set of camber bolts and lowering will get you 2-3* of neg camber. Did you notice any high speed stability running a bunch more positive caster?

How do you guys get so much camber out of a set of camber bolts? I think maxxed out you can only get 2 degrees. Anymore than that and the tire will be hitting the strut. Less if you run a decent wide tire that actually works with such camber angles. One of the reasons camber adjustment at the strut top is better is because the distance between the tire and strut doesn't become an issue as you increase camber.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts