The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

lets talk seam(stich) welding.

SouthCaliVR4

825 Is about as stripped right now as it gets. All that remains are the windshield, doors, back window & some wiring. I will have a guy come by & remove the windshield & back window before I start.

I'm interested in seam welding her. Inch on inch off. what I'm wondering is who might have experiance with doing this & what are good steps to take to insure & don't twack the body while doing this.

Should I do the subframe connectors first to shore things up or wait till after? seeing as how I don't have or have access to a frame jig any ideas as to where I should support the shell. Right now it's on the stands at the fact jacking points, as level as I could get it.

Any input is welcome & apriciated.

curtis

Theres a picture somewhere on the site that shows all the measurements of the chassis points.....Go find it. Then make sure the body is dead straight. There's body shop somewhere local to you that can do this. Your stripped down now and would be a crime not to do it.

Now as for subframe connectors do it only after all the points have been verified to be dead perfect. Most people never go this far. Get the sound mat out with dry ice and chip off whats left with a puddy knife. Now its time to weld. I wouldn't go nuts think about it and weld in corners and a few places across long spans etc just make sure its bare metal, paint and seam sealer makes for nasty welds, the rest of the places you might what to invest in a rivet insert for a air chisel and some dollies. I don't mean pop rivets but bucking rivets like aircraft are built with. That and 50 1/8 inch drill bits could have your chassis armor proof and ready for whatever gets thrown towards it. You can use counter sunk rivets like the video below or just normal domes headed ones. Don't use dead soft ones and in high stress locations use steel

If you have no clue what I'm talking about click me

No you can't borrow my clecos /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

citymunky

How are the rivets bucktails being bucked without a bucking bar?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts