The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ideas for new battery/relocate

mrbonnell

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Hey guys, Im in the market for a new battery. Ive done some research on some batteries already but before I jump I though I would ask a few questions.

The idea of relocation came to mind and I wanted to know generally how you guys like it, and went about your relocation project. If I do relocate it I would like it to be in the trunk.

I was also wondering what kind of batteries some you use. I have a 13 pound battery in right now its about 6" in height, 3" in width and 6.5" in length. I like the size and weight of it due to being light.

The reason I want to move it is because where my battery sits is pretty tight but due to the small size I can manage with where it is now. Pic attached for you guys to get an idea of where its at. Thanks for the help

Last edited:

PreskitVR4

The problem with relocating, is the cutoff switch that is required if you ever plan on dragracing. Also, our charging systems are not known for durability. Adding another 10 ft of line loss to the back of the car is prob not best. I know that statement will start a firestorm of "I've been doing it for years" but from a battery guy's POV it's not best case scenario. I have a group 51R Optima on a DSM batt tray nxt to the pass side strut tower. I like it, no cutoff required, and it moves the weight toward the center of the car.

mrbonnell

Was that the stock battery location on the Galants? Ive seen some cars with batteries in that location and I wouldnt mind putting mine there.

And yes I do plan on preping a track car someday. I guess another question I is are the little half batteries as reliable as the the regular sized batteries?

Last edited:

PreskitVR4

Stock location is behind headlight. Anything outside of automotive BCI group sizes can be very unreliable. There is Braille, Odessey, a few others, they either offer low CCA, or are crammed full of additives that make their chemistry unstable.

mrbonnell

Im unfamiliar with the abbreviation BCI, what might that stand for? So what might you suggest? I really dont have any room for a stock battery seeing as my intake pipe is so long and massive. lol

beaner

What is the point of moving the battery to the trunk? It's like moving the fuse box to the glove box. No part of the mod makes sense to me.

brisvr4

I put mine directly below the stock position to free up room for my intake.
It will probably only work there if you have short route piping though.

f83d3e20.jpg

Noobsauce

Some move the battery to the back for weight distribution. In an attempt to make the car have more of a 50/50 weight distribution. Makes the car more predictible in the corners.
Most others do it for "cuss racecar" status and for looks.

James

Mine sit on the subframe underneath the TBelbow. Maybe a few inches closer to the fender than that.

mrbonnell

Yah ive seen those. Does yours bolt right up the engine bay? How exactly does it fit in there?

BluFalcon

I cut out a flat plate that bolts to 2 of the 3 MAS mounting points. The stamped steel battery tray for the Odyssey PC925 then bolts to this plate, with a third 90 degree bracket that I added to the battery tray to allow it to bolt into the 3rd MAS mount point. Click on the link, and it'll show what I did a little better than I can explain. The nice thing about this, is that you don't have to cut or alter the positive battery terminal or ground lead, and it allows you to install a straight MAS intake pipe.

Last edited:

rdomeck

Don't rule out the battery in the trunk......A lot of cars come this way from the factory. Porsche and BMW to name a few! leaves room for other stuff in the engine bay.

mrbonnell

Thanks for the insight blufalcon, I see better what you have done. Im torn now between your set up seeing as it is quit simple and a rear mount. a good friend of mine is a bmw tech and him I would be able to wire it to the trunk. Pics to come thanks for the help.

alansupra94

Quoting PreskitVR4:
The problem with relocating, is the cutoff switch that is required if you ever plan on dragracing. Also, our charging systems are not known for durability. Adding another 10 ft of line loss to the back of the car is prob not best. I know that statement will start a firestorm of "I've been doing it for years" but from a battery guy's POV it's not best case scenario. I have a group 51R Optima on a DSM batt tray nxt to the pass side strut tower. I like it, no cutoff required, and it moves the weight toward the center of the car.

I basically bit the bullet and redid my whole entire electrical charging system. I installed an old durable rebuilt GM CS130 250AMP alternator, 250AMP breaker, distributors, new fuse box (to replace that ugly fuse holder on the battery terminal) and then 0 gauges all around ending at the yellow top Optima. Got tired of the sh*t stock alternator and the crap small wiring. Electrical system is now fantastic (with the solar panels /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif)

i usually put the battery in the trunk.. get a battery box and hold-down kit from auto zone... weld 2 washers to the floor so you can loop the j hooks on each side of the box and make an aluminum bracket from each side of the box to hold the battery down... you usually have to notch the plastic box to get the bracket to fit snug... other than that you only need to make 2 slits in the trunk carpet for the washers to poke through and the end result looks nice if you take your time and do it right..

belize1334

I got a JMFab kit for 1G dsm for the PC925. They say it doesn't fit, but it was really easy to adapt. Just get a piece of aluminum strap and use it to extend the lateral bracket up to the attachment point on the side of the strut-tower.

bigblock4g63

nice job

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts