The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fuel cut on hard left turn...

tsitalon1

Hey guys,

I've probably had this issue for a while and never noticed because my daily commute doesn't allow for any really hard left turns, but lately I noticed this...

I believe the car has a 1g pump/sending unit installed with the normal inaccurate fuel gauge.

Pump itself is just a RX7 turbo pump.

Is this a pump height issue or something more design related to the tank/baffles?

Last edited:

ktmrider

Tank and baffle design play more into the role of fuel "sloshing".

One thing I have heard about is crank thrust bearing tolerance, ie crankwalk, if the car stalls when making hard turns. Hope it ain't the cause tho!

Terry Posten

If I am very low on fuel, and take a fast big sweeping left turn, I will starve the fuel pump and cause a cut-out effect.

Last edited:

MuffinMan7580

Quoting ktmrider:
Tank and baffle design play more into the role of fuel "sloshing".

One thing I have heard about is crank thrust bearing tolerance, ie crankwalk, if the car stalls when making hard turns. Hope it ain't the cause tho!

This becomes the case (crankwalk) for 2g DSM's, because they have a crank trigger, which moves too far away from the sensor to be picked up on left hand turns. 1g/GVR4's have no crank trigger.

Last edited:

123abc

My 1g did this a lot but I have yet to have it happen to me in my VR4. Make sure you have at least a half tank of fuel before playing I guess....

DynastyLCD

Quoting Terry Posten:
If I am very low on fuel, and take a fast big sweeping left turn, I will starve the fuel pump and cause a cut-out effect.

this. baffles are only working properly when there's enough gas in the tank.

AWDPower

A lot of it has to do with tank design. My Talon would do it if the tank was low. I drove an Evo at a track day, and it would cut out if it fell below 1/4 tank. It was on Hoosiers, but I was still suprised that the tank was not better baffled. Miatas, for example, are almost impossible to starve. Some autocrossers will run with the tank almost empty. Be careful, the engine can be damaged by the lean condition. If you are cornering really hard, you can also have the tail kick out on you.

belize1334

Quoting Terry Posten:

+1. Annoying 'cause I'd like to run autocross on 1/3 tank for weight but if it gets down to 1/4 by the end of the day it'll cut out on left sweapers.

JNR

My ZJ 5.9 used to do that and I replaced the fuel pump and the problem went away...was a common issue on those for some reason and never figured out why, because the new pump didn't look any different than the old one.

I don't recall if the VR-4 cut out or not, but I don't like running less than a 1/4 tank anyway, so maybe that's why I never experienced it.

vr4play

Both of my cars do it. I have to auto-x with the fuel filled up to fuel cap to not have it happen by the end of 6 runs. It is better after moving the pump a little lower in the tank but it seems like the pump can draw the fuel out of the sump tank faster than it can get back in. I am planning on installing one of these in my auto-x car after I get the engine fixed. Surge Tank

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts