The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Alignment at home?

I have never done my own alignment but have read that you can do one with strings, levels, lasers etc. With 5 vehicles, I am getting tired of spending the extra money to do lifetime or long term alignment policies. Those things used to be $80 not that many years ago...then they went away and resurfaced as at least $150 alignments. Can't stand the sales people's stone faces (especially at Firestone) either when you come in for a free alignment....pushing this and that on you to buy. I'd rather be alone thanks!

Have home alignments advanced any? Can an inexperienced person do them? What sort of setup could I buy and is it affordable?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

citymunky

SPC makes a alignment tool for track use, I been thinking about picking one up.

5698139096_22d6f9b24e.jpg

Last edited:

That looks good except for the toe part. Isn't toe one of the most important elements for a street car? Especially for tire wear?

rdomeck

Toe is about the easiest thing to measure and adjust. I worked as a Porsche mechanic for a number of years as well as being on a Porsche pit crew team. Any of the cars that I aligned were don with strings. It does take some time to do and you have to make sure that the car is settled before you start checking things. Meaning you can't jack it up then lower it down and check the alignment. You must roll the car back and fourth or preferably drive it down the road and back to make sure the ride height is were it should normally be!

Checking the toe can be done with a friend and a tape measure. Usually you will see a alignment spec of +/- 1/16" or so. What that means is a difference between the front and rear edge of the tire. You can get pretty accurate measurements from the tire tread groves. I have a pole made up with adjustable pegs on it that have points on the ends. This allows you to go up and measure directly behind the centerline of the wheel.

Camber is easy as well with something to put on the wheel lip that is the same distance out top to bottom. Find an accurate way to measure the angle. Some of the angle finders at the hardware store are usable, but not that accurate. Make sure the car is on LEVEL ground. Now that you have done that....Make sure that your car is on LEVEL ground. The best tool as a camber gauge that you can buy from any of the big performance stores, Jegs, Summitt, etc. click I think Eastwood even sell's them. Your probably going to spend $150-300 on one of these! Also check out this page click McMaster has a lot of useful things from hardware to tools and the have the best customer service out of any business I have ever dealt with....Ever!

Hopefully some of that makes sense. Now plan to spend about 4 hours on each alignment. Your first one or two may be longer. I would suggest starting with a car that you know is in alignment and make sure you can come up with the same measurements that you know it should be. This way you can learn without making a tire eating mistake!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned