The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ABS Error codes?

EgonOlsen

While reading the Galant 89-93 Chassis and Mechanical service manual section 35 about servicing brakes, specially the ABS, I read that
there where error codes for what sensor faulted ect.

I dont recall ever seeing that.
My ABS light is constant on, after driving 100miles it suddenly came on and have been on ever since.

I have a palm with MMCD to read error codes with, but I find no codes on the car for any ABS.

So my question is, do we even have error codes for ABS or dont we and if we do can I read them somehow with the palm? would be nice to know what senser if at fault if it even is a sensor.

Also any other good advice on how/what to check first when checking the ABS would be nice.
Can you measure the sensors at the ABS ecu plug instead of at the wheels? if yes does anyone have a pinout of that big plug?(the 1 in the truck ofc.)

SouthCaliVR4

The only way I know of to pull codes from the abs is with the factory Mutt scanner. One of the main reasons I used to justify pulling the system on 825.

I paid twice to have the system scanned & traced/repaired code sets only to have the bitch kick in for no good godamn reason again.

My 2psi get rid of the system. not worth the expense or risk.

EgonOlsen

Yeah not an option here, if it came with ABS you are not allowed to change it or you wont pass inspection, law here.

I know someone with a scanner I think.

citymunky

How do they know a car came with ABS?

MUTT Scanner, I just looked one up, $300 not cheap. http://columbusga.craigslist.org/pts/2980397676.html

5I15G55F93G53mb3N6c4q5186366b60761ea8.jpg

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
An MUT-II was about $4000 new, so 300 seems a deal.

That is actually a MUT-I (original type) in the case on the left.

Last edited:

EgonOlsen

Quoting citymunky:
How do they know a car came with ABS?

No 6th gen galant was ever sold in denmark without ABS(at least I have never ever seen 1 or heard of 1, but I have heard of someone doing an abs delete and fail inspection on it.) So its fairly easy to spot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

That being said ofc the individual inspector might miss the fact, just doing the bigger brake upgrade makes it fail because the car didnt come with them.
We are not allowed a lot of modding here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

donkeylips

Wait a minute. You can pull the codes with a voltmeter or a buzzer just like you can pull the ECU codes. It's just a different pin on the diagnostic connector. I have done it before. I believe it's on vfaq but I don't have time to check right now.

citymunky

Quoting EgonOlsen:
just doing the bigger brake upgrade makes it fail because the car didnt come with them.
We are not allowed a lot of modding here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

WOW, and I thought California was bad with dumb car modding laws.

EgonOlsen

Quoting donkeylips:
Wait a minute. You can pull the codes with a voltmeter or a buzzer just like you can pull the ECU codes. It's just a different pin on the diagnostic connector. I have done it before. I believe it's on vfaq but I don't have time to check right now.

Hmm possibly, I tried that just now, needle went up fast 16 times(which according to codes makes no sense) then a little break, then 9 times. :p
I only ever saw 1 kinda pulses.

But then question 2, does anyone know what the codes for the ABS is?

As regards to laws here, if the manufacturer say a model is allowed with some brakes, you can make it, but you have to bring a piece of paper where mitsubishi say so, which is near impossible to get.

Edit: tried again. I have 5 pins in the ODB socket, 2 does nothing 1 is a constant 5 volt and 1 is a constant 12 volt. The last 1 give pulses, but it does not stop. after counting 200 pulses I dropped it, no breaks in between.

Last edited:

MX4

Have a look here - click

The issue is that the .pdf file is missing to tell you what code means which error with your ABS system. If you find it do let me know.

misterfixit

what year is your car Egon, i''ll scan and post later for you. could you pop up a pic of the abs computer? its an EDM model isn't it. could you let me know the model code? will end in L6.

The abs light and the panel in the wheel well tell the car had abs. and yes if fitted in europe it must work at inspection. They have databases that define the must haves.

Rich

AnotherNewb

Whats stopping you from pulling the bulb in the dash board short term to pass your inspection then diagnose at your leisure? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Are they that anal during your inspections that they would spot that?

EgonOlsen

Quoting misterfixit:
what year is your car Egon, i''ll scan and post later for you. could you pop up a pic of the abs computer? its an EDM model isn't it. could you let me know the model code? will end in L6.

The abs light and the panel in the wheel well tell the car had abs. and yes if fitted in europe it must work at inspection. They have databases that define the must haves.

Rich

Ill look for stuff when I get home, but here is a pic of the Swedish registration info.

EgonOlsen

Quoting AnotherNewb:
Whats stopping you from pulling the bulb in the dash board short term to pass your inspection then diagnose at your leisure? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Are they that anal during your inspections that they would spot that?

Actually YES they are that anal. but there is always the chance the inspector miss it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I will try a cheat to get some plates on her, then ill fix the ABS error later.(when I can actually drive it to a friend with a Mut-II scanner)
I did a bypass on the bulb and fitted it to the Check Engine light, so it will light up then off as it should.

misterfixit

the abs pump that exists under the hood, and the wheel sensors.

The inspection isn't done by monkeys

Rich

rgeier11

Pull the harness connector out of the ABS pump and plug it back in with the car running. Mine came on one time, I did that, and it cleared up. This post is just a complete shot in the dark though.

You can ohm out the wheel sensors as well.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
These vehicles are also very sensitive the the proper adjustment of the front sensors. If they are too far from the toothed rotor, they will light the light.

misterfixit

I'd be inclined to agree with the wheel sensors. Hook up a little 12v bulb and use that on the diag port. You'll be able to get the code easily. If you use a meter it might dwell and you'll get confused.

Anyhoo... Your car is a late '89:

Took the pic from caps as it gives a nice crisp build date.

Here is the trouble shooting guide from the Service manual specific to pre '91 4WD cars. I've pulled the rest so I can drop it on the autofeed scanner tomrrow lunchtime /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Let us know how you get on pulling the codes again!

Hope this helps!

Rich

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts