The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Where is the 20g turbo from?

conradical

So I have a 20g turbo with a TD05 housing. Its my understanding that the TD05 is a 16g turbine housing, and I have a 20g compressor housing. I know that the 16g came from the evo and that a true 20g has a TD06 housing. So where did the 20g come from, as in what car did it come out of? Ive heard that its from Mitsubishi heavy industries i.e. trucks but I dont know. Also because I have a TD05 housing on mine does that make it some type hybrid?

CmanorVr4

Mitsu 20g turbos come in both td05 and 06 housings. I can tell you spooling characteristics are quicker and a bit less laggy with the smaller td05 housing.

conradical

yeah with the TD05 housing the turbo will spool faster then the 06 one, but I hear the difference is the turbine wheel not the housing itself. I guess the housing is the same between the TD05 and TD06? Ive been trying to look up any info on them but cant seem to find much.

Galantvr41062

The 20g turbo came from MHI, there are a lot if other common turbos from MHI also.

conradical

So MHI makes turbos for several different applications no one specific car or truck? Sorry for all these questions but this is really peaking interest right now.

Galantvr41062

Fork lifts, just about anything diesel powered that Mitsubishi makes will have a turbo on it and or use motors that come in Mitsubishi cars also.

I used a Mitsubishi fork lift that had a NA G54B in it running on propane.

A few MHI turbos or turbos that use MHI parts: 19t, 20g, 25g, Greddy T76, T88/h (I think) etc.

I have seen pics of turbos that are 15' tall and used in big ocean ships, I don't know who makes them.

Jason G.

The 20g never came in a TD05H compressor cover. If you have one, it was modified to fit a 20g compressor wheel.

A TD05H 20g means it uses the TD05H shaft/turbine wheel, which is used on 14b and 16g turbos as well.

Typically they have used the 7cm^2 turbine housing, which is found on 16g turbos as well. This is the most common set up along with the bigger TD06 compressor cover.

Last edited:

Jostar

I believe the 20G was used in the GMC typhoon & Syclone trucks...

raptorWagon

Quoting Galantvr41062:

I have seen pics of turbos that are 15' tall and used in big ocean ships, I don't know who makes them.

You mean such as on this engine?
Truck2.bmp

656of1000

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

That's going on my lawn tractor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

conradical

thanks for all the info and yes that pic of the big ass turbo is sweet. I wonder what kind of boost/power those things put out? Thats nuts!

fuel

only the Evolution spec JDM VR-4s had the 16G and they were big 16Gs not the small 16G. There's a bit of a debate as to what turbo CD9A Lancer Evos have, either small 16Gs or big 16Gs - but the CE9A Lancer Evo II and Evo III have big 16Gs with the Evo III big 16G having a better flowing exhaust housing and a different shaped compressor wheel.

fuel

small 16G is on some DSMs yeah?

Adorsey

Buddy of mine bought a longblock from Japan, it was out of a auto galant with a mitsu 13g lol.

I just rebuilt/ built a 20g from my b16g, 20g wheel and machined compressor cover. Got it balanced, put 1600miles on it and shes wicked quick. Hoping to move 50lbpm... But need to log and see whatsgood.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts