The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

heli coil size

marvinmadman

I need to heli coil the driver's engine mount. It's the two bolts that go through from the top into the mount on the engine. Hope that makes sense. What kit do I need to buy? I don't recall the size. Thanks

89Mirageman

Is there room to tap to a different size? This is either a 10mm or 12mm diameter bolt and the kit alone will be around $100. Better yet, just swap that mount out. I probably have one laying around here somewhere.

marvinmadman

$100? Lmao where you get yours at? I got a kit for $25. I found the size, 10x1.25

What are you using marvinmadman? It's been a while since I looked, but I know the "Master Kit" ran about $100.

marvinmadman

A kit with just what I need. Tool, tap, and inserts.

89Mirageman

The kit I bought was around $80 for the 8mm 1.25 thread pitch over 5 years ago when I had some exhaust manifold studs that were broken/stripped. Like someone else mentioned though, this was the master kit with the bit and everything in a plastic case.
Glad you got it sorted either way.

Last edited:

curtis

Screw the helicoils

I had seen these timeserts before but never had to use them. I think main reason is because I don't use air tools, all fasteners are put in and started by hand and tighten by hand and then torqued. But anyway had to repair the holes in a transmission the other day for a slave cylinder on a friends go fast street car and used a timesert kit. I'll never fight a helicoil again. click me. Actual I was on the phone with John (boostx) and used a cheap cordless drill and a driver with just my right hand to do the entire operation. Things are magic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif Actually considering buying a kit and stepping up to 10mm on all the intake and exhaust studs on my head when it goes together.

SleepinGVR4

+3 on TimeSerts.

When I first came across timeserts I asked around, performance shops, garages... no one ever heard of them.

Go to my machine shop... what does he say? "Of course, its the only thing I use."

But my luck he doesn't have any metric ones.

I found a place online and was able to order a metric kit for the turbo bolt size. Not cheap mind you. And its only one size.

But now every time I break a turbo bolt, I just take the exhaust housing to my machine shop with the timesert kit and he fixes my threads for next to nothing.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned