The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Cyclone intake W/ECMLink?

rdomeck

Thinking about doing this! Will it be worth it and is it that hard of thing to do? I run a fabrication business so I don't mind making some things if I need to. Mainly wondering how ECMLink controls the butterflies?

Thanks, Randy

ktmrider

OMFG folks does ANYONE use the search function these days?!? Asked and answered a million effing times including lovely pictures/diagrams/instructions.

rdomeck

Then school me on how to properly search. I spent two hours looking and didn't find anything newer than 2008! If it's here and I'm sure it is why don't you try providing a link so that I can find it......Or just bitch about it! Which ever you think is more productive.

ktmrider

Bitching is my Easy Button Answer for your question.

I searched this site, DSMTalk, Tooners, lilevo, and even Googled it. Found what I already knew was out there, will give you my incredibly intricate search parameters of "cyclone control".

belize1334

ECMLink lets you have control of the fuel_pressure_solenoid which you can set to switch at a certain rpm. This is used to vent the vacuum canister and open the butterfly valves.

rdomeck

Roger, It's nice that someone can be helpful, Thanks. I believe I will try this and see how it works. I tried a search on ECM Link, but didn't turn up too much stuff either, but for some reason my searches never do? Anyway, thanks for the help!

Brunoboy

the fpr solenoid is used in ecmlink to open the butterflies. you tell ecmlink when to open the fpr solenoid which is connected to the vac canister thats connected to the actuator.

TomN

You're much better off using a modified internal waste gate to activate to butterflys. You want them opening around 10psi reguardless of rpm. Not just at a certain rpm.

Brunoboy

you want them set to a certain rpm, Most people set it to 4500k. you want to be able to build boost lowend and open up on top for high end flow.

TomN

If you set it to open based on boost then rpm doesn't matter. Just like meth injection you want this activating by boost not just rpm.
The whole point of this manifold is to give different runner lengths for when your in low boost vs high. Seem logical having it activated by boost would be more effective. Especially if you tend to change turbo setups and are always modding the car.

prove_it

It's RPM based, it has something to do with the pressure waves and other technical jargon. It's been discussed to death. I'm using the cyclone with dsmlink and from dyno pulls it's best to set it for around 4100 to 4500 rpms. Just wait for the experts to chime in, but it is based on RPM.

rdomeck

^^^ Now that's what I was looking for. Why can I never find threads like that? Thanks for help

Dasith

when i see a thread that i think will come in handy for my future build plans, i mark it as Favourite... then they get saved on my home tab... way easier to bring back than use search..

the add to FAVOURITE button is on the lower left corner btw..

belize1334

Exactly wrong. The manifold affects the engine's VE curve which is an inherently pressure-independent quantity. This has been debated over and over and over again. Using a pressure source as the signal only works when the boost happens to come on at the right rpm. Using rpm as a signal is the right way.

Quoting TomN:
You're much better off using a modified internal waste gate to activate to butterflys. You want them opening around 10psi reguardless of rpm. Not just at a certain rpm.

AnotherNewb

Quoting rdomeck:
^^^ Now that's what I was looking for. Why can I never find threads like that? Thanks for help

When you search, put a "+" in front of your key words like: +cyclone +manifold. Next throw in a "-" infront of RE: like so: -re:. That takes out all of the replies. Throw it all together you get +cyclone +manifold -re:

See also: +cyclone +intake -re:

That should help get you started.

rdomeck

That really helps! Why the + sign? I see that it works much better, but why not just have it search my key words? The -re seemed to bring a lot less result.....Thanks for that tip.

AnotherNewb

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Dunno, it gets complained about and brought up every once in while.

For some reason it's superior this way.

desant78

Isn't vtec variable valve timing? I know mark viii's also have a dual runner intake Mani and that is a n/a car. Sorry if the above comment is pure sarcasm and I'm taking it too far.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts