The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Recommended oils

Boos929

Wondering what's the best oils and transmission fluids to run

1941Galant

You are going to get many different answers on this, and someone is bound to say that any oil is better than no oil, but some oils are better than others. For me, I like to run redline MTL and MT90 in the transmission, heavy weight shockproof in the t-case and rear axle, and synthetic Rotella for the engine oil.

alansupra94

Quoting 1941Galant:
You are going to get many different answers on this, and someone is bound to say that any oil is better than no oil, but some oils are better than others. For me, I like to run redline MTL and MT90 in the transmission, heavy weight shockproof in the t-case and rear axle, and synthetic Rotella for the engine oil.

I run Heavy Wieght Shockproof in the rear and transfer case and the GM Sychromesh in the transmission. For oil, I just run the regular 5W-30. When I install my built engine, I will be running race oil which was recommended by several people in the valvoline thread.

EDIT: Oh snap, maybe I shouldn't run Sychromesh according to that link.

Last edited:

Struc

Depending on what you're running for HP, the Forced Performance Oil recommendation is a good read:

click

DynastyLCD

i run Rotella T 15W40, non synthetic, and i love it. i was first suggested this by a highly reputable engine builder, who builds NASCAR and SK modified engines. he suggested using this instead of break in oil, and how the zinc would be very beneficial (two years later FP comes out with that bulletin about zinc content in the oil, relating to turbocharger life) the Rotella T takes awhile to break down even on hot summer days, 5W30 seemed to turn to water in no time flat no matter what season. its also cheap as hell in my area ($60 for 5 gallons) or buy anything else loaded with zinc. just don't waste your money on Mobil 1, its just overpriced junk. if you had the money to spend every couple thousand, Brad Penn makes awesome oil, with very high zinc content. i cant buy this locally, and i haven't put much research into this, but i think the price is still significantly higher than the Rotella.

Redline Heavyweight for the rear end, and transfer case. MT90 for the transmission itself.

JamesFoster

20w-50 in the motor, Redline MT-90 in the trans, redline heavyweight shockproof in transfercase and rear diff.

LILEVO

I run Schaeffers 20w50 with extra zinc, shockproof heavy in rear and xfer, and just started trying out Redline MT85 in the trans in both my Stealth and Mirage and am loving it. Both transmissions shift unbelievably

I used to run NEO RHD trans fluid in the Mirage and it wasn't bad, but $20/quart

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts