The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Replacing my rack and the new rack isnt the same. (HELP)

James

Car: 1990 galant GSX.

i ordered a galant FWD and the rack i got looks like it needs to be hooked into 4WS!? i think they boxed up the wrong part. heres what im talking about.

893a6163.jpg

My rack doesnt have that, or have anything to plug into it. The valve in there moves up and down for i assume open/close. can this be blocked off in any way???

Last edited:

SouthCaliVR4

I just went & looked at my new rack, application dsm awd. it only has two ports & then a cap on the bottom of the steering input pinion. if you didn't get the wrong rack you definitely got one that's defective.

Can you post a pic of the whole rack from that same angle?

James

b249ef5e.jpg

James

Sorry I forgot to say I was using a FWD rack not an AWD rack. But regardless i don't understand what this port would be used for. Pressure switch?

SouthCaliVR4

I've torn down a couple FWD's as well & dont recall a port there. Could be a fwd thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif just not positive. either way that won't bolt into a vr4.

James

Can't I just plug it? Why wouldn't it bolt back up?

toybreaker

iconoclast
That *may* be something related to the variable assist set-up that came on the gsr models. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

James

Getting Mildly annoyed at this. Been to 5 places, none of them have anything to plug that

James

I don't have the extra $100 for the awd rack as apposed to the FWD rack. And it's a week wait for the part to come in.

SouthCaliVR4

The thing is, no idea how it will affect the performance of the unit to block that port. You may find it won't work right without whatever is supposed to be hooked up there & then you're boned cause they won't take it back used.

I do have sympathy for the situation but running that one may make things worse all the way around.

James

Oh well, its in and working pretty darn well. Had to dig into
The dark sides of my garage but I found a fitting. Just wish I knew what that was even for

Lucas03ES

Im pretty sure that it is linked to the Eco/Pwr mode from the non cr-4 model galants. If I remember correctly it affects the steering.

James

My galant isn't a VR4, and I have no hookups for it on the car. Thus why I'm so confused

Also confused because 15 people have guessed that it's for 15 different things

fuel

yes it is missing the solenoid which controls the variable rate power assist. That rack would be from a GSR model rather than the other FWD models. I would say you would need the part to complete it.

James

would you say its safe to just cap it off and call it a day, as i did?

fuel

if it's not leaking then I guess it would be fine. How does the steering feel, quite over-assisted or relatively well-weighted? I had an '88 E33A Galant VX-S (JDM version of the Galant GSR) which had the switchable assist from 'normal' to 'sport' but I always left it in sport because it felt very much over-assisted and numb when on normal. I felt the 'sport' setting should have been 'normal' and made it more heavier and give even more feedback on 'sports'.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned