The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

push button start

adamvr4

im installing a push button start with wires coming from a relay that has 1 red, 1 black, and 2 blue wires coming from it. Im trying to hook it up to my ignition switch which u see in the picture. Can someone tell me which wires go where?

Noobsauce

I will be putting one in my car. But not to be a ricer tuner. I do a decent amount of track days and it's nice if for whatever reason you stall you can simply hit the button. And don't tell me "well just turn the key" that will defenitly tell me you have never been to a road corse track day. When everything's going on around you that extra ease of operation is most apreteated.

Brunoboy

i go to track days too and honestly, you still have to hit the clutch unless you bypass it meaning its not saving time. Use this to help your install:
click

Barnes

Quoting mitsuturbo:
Why would you bother with this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Because racecar!

turbowop

Why would the car stall while driving around a track? And if it does, can't you just pop the clutch to get it going again? If it stalls while stopped I don't see how this is easier. Seems like stalling in rush hour traffic would be worse. Install one because "commuter car!".

James

jeff and the Turd! cant wait to see a 7 second pass this season

stealthtt24

Quoting mitsuturbo:
Why would you bother with this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Why not? Its a cool idea and a neat way to spice up the car. It's not like the guy is putting a park bench on the trunk.

Barnes

On the button instead of saying "Start" it should say "Because Racecar!"

cheekychimp

Doesn't have to be flashy, just functional.

I can reach this from the gear lever mounted where the cigarette lighter used to be. As has been said before, if you stall, it's nice to just be able to push that right after you throw it back into first!

asking why would you install a push start is like asking why install turbo timer when you can just leave engine to idle for x min or drive like a nana for a few mins to cool down.

Last edited by a moderator:

chach161

I am hoping to move up to ricer/racer style soon with a push button ignition. Right now if I was to start it I would be using redneck style where you touch the two wires together.

mitsuturbo

^^ in this case, it makes perfect sense.

In a roadgoing car, where there is still a viable steering lock and keyed ignition switch in place, it just seems redundant, and a complete waste of time.

A turbo timer is very much a convenience luxury. An extra "button" to activate the starter is just that... extra.

Hell, you can put a pigeon playground aluminum wing on your car and justify it as "functional". You can put SOLAR PANELS on your trunk, because you can't figure out what's drawing power where it shouldn't. It's functional. They serve a purpose. That doesn't mean it's going to be widely accepted as a "cool" thing to do.

Cars that are built with pushbutton start usually have other features, like keyless entry, remote start, automatic locks, and NO KEYED IGNITION SWITCH. While i have remote start, keyless entry, and automatic locks, i see these as non-redundant luxury/lazy items. I still have a factory keyed ignition switch. Having to turn your key, only to have to also push a button to start the car, just seems like a colossal waste of one's time, both for the install, and every time you want to start the car.

Then again, i'm the kind of idiot who will buy a 12 to 5v converter, just so i can use a boost controller's accessory inputs to monitor voltage, fuel, and oil pressure, all on the same unit, simply so i won't have to install three other gauges. I like to have things wrapped up in a nice little package. Not strewn all about the dash and interior. Having the start switch integrated into my ignition just seems like the smart thing to do. Maybe that's why nearly every car manufacturer since almost the beginning of time has done it. Of course, the new keyless ignition systems are nice. However, putting a pushbutton in the car to activate the starter doesn't even come close to mirroring such a setup.

Maybe all the cool kids put buttons in their car to activate the starter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

mikus

slightly OT: cheeky why are there flatblacked silo cup velocity stacks in your HVAC control

cheekychimp

Basically, by the time I got finished fitting the push to start button, and fridge into the centre console, I didn't have any room left for the HVAC. I figured that didn't matter too much since if I got too hot I could just open the fridge door. What I didn't realize however (until I got finished cutting the hole in the firewall) was that the fridge was too big and the only way to get it to fit flush was to remove the entire intake manifold. So Curtis rigged me up these velocity stacks. I got a billet block, converted it to three cylinders, went back to NA with an Independent Throttle Body on each stack and fed them straight from the cabin.

It's really, really noisy and the passengers hate it but hell if they complain too much I just undo their seat belt, pull the filters off and it sucks them right in.

Does THAT explain it for you?

Last edited:

alansupra94

There is a fridge in your car?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

And I get bashed* for solar panels and sidemount intake manifolds.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts