The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Flasher and turn signals not working on my 1999 Galant

Deeson

A quick successful story I had to share... I own a 1999 Galant, ES, 2.4L. and the flashers and turn signals (blinkers) stopped working. I checked all the fuses and bulbs, all good. Replaced the column turn signal switch, still no blinkers. After hearing that the 99 Galant has flasher relays in the ETACS, I wanted the dealer to verify. Paid the small fee to have them run a diag and sure enough they say it is the ETACS and would cost $600+ to replace. No Thanks. So I picked up a used ETACS and plugged it in, by the way it plugs into the back of the interior fuse box. Turned on the key and still no flashers or blinkers. Then picked up an ECU that plugs into the fuse box under the hood, plugged it in and still no flashers or blinkers. Here's where it gets drastic, I pulled the fuse box and traced the hazard fuse wire, it's the red with blue stripe wire (removing the wrapping along the way. After pulling off the left front fender, and checking the wire every 18 inches, I found a bad spot in the wire as it enters into the passenger compartment. Respliced and it is working like new. Just wanted to share this, so you don't have to spend 20+ hours trying to repair yours like I did. Good Luck!
P.S. There is a small circuit board behind the turn signal switch on the column, you will not get circuit continuity on the plug if you try activating the turn signals, this board probably sends a digital code to the ETACS.
Rick in Aurora, Colorado.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts