The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

castor/toe specs for a wheel alignment with Evo8 suspension?

Scott Y

The local Lee Myles is offering free wheel alignment inspections, so I signed the Galant up for Tuesday. It drifts to the right, and the steering wheel is slightly off center so we'll see what kind of shop they are. I've got nearly new tires, and the car is overdue to have the wheels pointed in the right directions.
After I told them how the car is not stock, they asked what I want the specs to be. I quickly discovered that I have no idea what the specs should be. It's not a road course car, it's a driver that goes to the 1/4 occasionally. There is no adjustable camber. I've been in cars that felt like they were driving on the edges of their tires and I didn't like it, and I wonder what settings I should be providing them? All 4WS equipment has been removed for years, the bushings are all stock and I assume original.

ktmrider

Search the How To section, has everything you are requesting. The rear adjustment info is altho should not be an issue depending on how the 4WS is disabled.

BTW specs are specs regardless of the suspension you are running.

fuel

if you are running evo suspension in the front, those knuckles should have some adjustment where they attach to the strut base, depending how you spaced out the difference between stock knuckle mounts and evo strut mount ears. Toe in/out is easily adjustable in the front, which will be what they would mostly change given your steering wheel is not centered and it's pulling to one side. As for the rear, with the disabled 4WS, to get exact static toe in/out adjustment ideally you would want lock bars going from the subframe to where the rear steering rack tie rod ends used to mount onto the trailing arms - otherwise your car will still have 'passive 4WS' and not so easy to get adjustment bang on. Evo rear struts should have no bearing on the suspension geometry anyway, given that its a double wishbone set up as opposed to a macpherson strut like the front (and like the rears in my 4G Galant)

jepherz

Staff member
Everything that fuel said, except the rears may be potentially affected if the springs dropped the height of the car.

Scott Y

Thanks guys.
I'll just have them zero the front toe and call it good. In '13 I plan to redo the bushings and lock down the rear, but for now I just want to drive it and have it run straight.

fuel

why zero front toe? I've always run slight toe-out at the front which aids turn-in, but I understand most cars run some amount of toe-in at the front to aid straight line stability. I don't quite understand the ins and outs (sorry, bad pun) of suspension geometry so I get my race car driver/workshop owner buddy of mine to set up my cars. Best to see someone knowledgeable who understands more than just the 'factory' settings.

Scott Y

The zero toe thing I found here . It's not a turny-turny track car, and I'm old so I don't go racing around on the streets. I need tires to not wear out every season, also.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts