The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Intake manifold leak.

gvr4ever

I have found a leak some place in the intake manifold. I haven't exactly pin pointed the exact leak, but it feels like it's some place in the middle around the injectors.

Are the gaskets to the head prone to failing? Or do they have a normal fail point?

Hksvr4

It could be intake manifold gasket or injector seals. If the injectors are not sitting correctly, it can leak through the injector seals. Best way to find it is, a boost leak tester. You can fab one up using plumping supplies and a tire air valve.

gvr4ever

I made one. That is how I found the leak.

I hope it's something as simple as a injector leak. I think I have a spare set of injector gaskets too.

JSchleim18

If you have an idea where the leak is coming from, spray that area with soapy water. The leak should help make the soapy water bubble up and it can help locate the leak easier.

gvr4ever

I blew the intake manifold to head gasket for sure. I've been trying to find some write ups with not the best of luck.

Can this be changed out while the engine is in the car?

dmj

It can be changed on the car, just a little time consuming though but not too bad.

mikus

1st time figure ~3hrs, esp. if the support bracket is still there underneath.
2nd time, 90 minutes tops.

Very straightfoward, I wouldn't worry about a writeup.
- pop your fuel rail (optional but 1st time I would)
- pop off pipes to TB and other crap, so you can work your left arm under the IM
- find the bolts by hand and undo them underneath,
- Then crack off your TB and other misc bits.

If it's been off before the bracket's probably gone and the bolts should come free. If it's never been off, try to soak 'em.

Terry Posten

Save yourself a headache in the future and replace the knock sensor when the manifold is off. They are cheap and if it is original, it for sure has the black goo coming out.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned