The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Redline Heavy Weight Shockproof in the Rear...noiser now

I swapped out the rear diff fluid with Redline Heavy Weight Shockproof. The entire drivetrain has always been noisy as heck but now it is even noiser with this stuff. It is hard to explain, but now it sounds just as noisy as the rest of the driveline. Any ideas what the heck? The rear diff is a 3 bolt Viscous LSD if that helps.

Thanks

Thanks, but it was nice and quiet before putting the Redline in. What could have caused it to be come noisy?

4thStroke

The Redline is not what caused it to fail.

Did you let the Redline flow back out of the fill hole? Did you let it settle and fill again until it flowed back out? This stuff sucks to deal with when filling and draining.

I wouldn't say it failed...still does the job...it's a bit more noisy now (like added harmonics). I let it drain out the fill hole for a second. I realized I should have let it drain loger. I came back a few days later (about 130 miles later) and filled it again (this time it took a bit more) and then let it drain back out again.

You sure are right, it does suck! It took about 3 hours to fill it was so thick.

4thStroke

The rear end shouldn't be making any noise, if it's making noise now, chances are it will get louder and it will let go.

Did it start making noise immediately after the switch or after some driving?

Immediately after the switch. Don't know if it is some peripheral noise though or from directly inside the rearend. Had to change all of the cover bolts and fill plug with Lowes hardware because all of the bolts rounded out. Also had to remove the mustache brace and put it all back together (not sure if I got it back together right since no one responded to my post about putting it back together). The mustache brace bushings fell to the ground so I couldn't get the order right.

I have another theory...maybe it had extra thick fluid in there before since whoever had it before knew it was worn. The change to a thinner fluid is now showing that it is worn? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Strange thing is it doesn't do it at all speeds, it is not a whine either. It is usually when I let off the throttle on decel.

Last edited by a moderator:

slugsgomoo

when you're going to fill with really thick fluid like that, I like to heat it up first. in a sealed container you can basically put it into a bucket of near boiling water for a bit, much runnier after that, it's a bit easier to deal with compared to the molasses it normally is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DR1665

Quoting slugsgomoo:
when you're going to fill with really thick fluid like that, I like to heat it up first. in a sealed container you can basically put it into a bucket of near boiling water for a bit, much runnier after that, it's a bit easier to deal with compared to the molasses it normally is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

03/30/12: Search delivers.

SouthCaliVR4

Another way, not without it's chalanges, remove the drain & fill plugs, find a grommet that will fill the drain hole & fit your fluid pump then pump it in from the bottom till it comes out the fill hole, quickly drop the grommet & pump hose then pop in the drain plug. if you do it right just a tad to top it back off & your done.

This is how you do outdrives on boats.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts