The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How do the transfer cases handle different rear gears?

I've got 3 diffs. One is a claimed gvr4 open (3.545). One is a viscous 3bolt (3.307). And the other is a viscous 4bolt (3.545) The 3bolt viscous works good (bolt spin the same direction immediately). The 4bolt locks after a full rotation (bad or worn coupler I imagine).

What should I be running? I know if it's a 4x4 you shouldn't mix differential gearing. But I'm not sure how AWD cars compensate?

My transfer case is a 23 spline (half aluminum, half cast)

The sticker I found on the trans is a barcode which states: BNH1752-NPXV

Barnes

You have to run the same ratio as the front differential.

JNR

there should be a code etched on the transmission near the bellhousing that begins with W, iirc...If you do a search on here, somebody had posted up the different codes on the various transmissions; bet it's in the how-to/info section...

But yeah, as mentioned, need same gear ratios front and rear, plus the same sized tires (OD) all around, or at least within say 1/8-1/4".

Last edited:

pauleyman

The transfer case doesn't care what you run but mitsubishi in their infinite wisdom did mix and match front, transfer and rear diffs depending on 5spd or auto and made an additional switch on 97 up dsm. I have no idea why they did this but they did. You must run a matched set of the three. 90-96 dsm and gvr4 5spd should all be the same for all 3, as far as ratios are concerned. There is of course the spline count difference for 90.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned