The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Knock sensor lighting up!

I have a chipped vr4..stock boost gauge is now knock sensor

Car idles great, motor sounds perfect.

When I go to about half throttle it boosts good, feels fast but it seems like once the turbo spools and pushes a certain psi(dont have boost gauge in yet, only running 11psi) the knock sensor lights up all the way across to the + sign. so 30 knocks.

I just had the turbo system fogged for leaks but there were none. Turbo isnt making any weird noises either.

ANy ideas???

Let me know if you need more info or details about the car!

Thanks guys,

Luke

beaner

click

You were getting fuel cut for a reason, and it was not because of your MAF or fuel cut being a worthless feature.

Now instead of fuel cut you're getting insane knock.

Awesome.

yup, seems like fuel cut was due to knock rather than maf capacity.

What are the most common reasons for a knock on gvr4?

ITs knocking even when its not warmed up so per-detonation because of hot intake air is not the reason.

Timing?

There is a slight oil leak by cam angle sensor/valve cover gasket

Terry Posten

Look at the knock sensor and see if the black goo has escaped. It is hard to see but you can feel if it is very tacky.

It s mid-motor directly under the intake manifold. Has a short wiring harness coming out of it.

If it is leaking te goo out, get a replacement. They are not that expensive.

K the car is at a buddies right now, so ill check that tomorrow....

Can you name anything else I should check that will narrow down why it is showing knocks?

(i.e. check timing, Crank angle sensor... etc)

seems like there are quite a few ideas in this post click , but not specifically having to with knock sensor

beaner

[*]Base idle set at 850rpms
[*]3G MAS conversion w/extended maps
[*]Stock sized 450 injectors
[*]AC cutout at 80% throttle
[*]Revised and extended closed loop maps for better highway speed mileage
[*]Remove fuel cut
[*]Rev limit is stock at 7200
[*]Check Engine shift light at 6800
[*]Dash LEDs converted for knock sum counter (each light is 5 counts)

Here is the recipe for turning your daily driver into a jackstand baller. Is this what your ecu is chipped for? You are lucky as balls the boost LEDs were converted to a knock counter.

Obviously check your knock sensor. If it appears to be fine, be sure it's not over torqued into the block. I am not sure on the exact torque spec but it's not much. Also check the condition of the wire around the sensor and the plug.

How do you have all these mods but not a boost gauge? This is crazy man. You think you're at 11psi, but have no idea. Boost creep is VERY probable.

Consider doing this and this as well.

That is correct.

I have a mbc and gauge but havent installed due to it not running well, didnt want to add more variables to the equation...Should I install them to see if boost is spiking?

Thanks for the help sir!

beaner

Yes hook up the boost gauge and see what's going on. I wouldn't bother with the MBC for the reason you just said, an added variable and it won't help your situation anyways.

Knock sensor is good, it happens to be telling me the truth.

There is a slight knock noise coming from the engine, only at certain higher rpms /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

beaner

So just to put it in perspective I tune for less than 1 knock count and have my check engine light set to trip at 3. I jump off the gas if it lights up. Having the pedal to the floor with 30 + knock counts is insanity. I don't understand the point of having the LEDs set up at 5 knock count intervals. The first LED lighting up means something was wrong half a LED ago. The hell with 5x 1 2 3 4 5

Do you have access to a stock ECU and stock MAF?

Are you confident with zero boost leaks?

Get that boost gauge on and don't blow it up!

Last edited:

It knocks in neutral, at least I can hear it when im over the engine manually rev-ing. BTW totally agree with the knock count, I would prefer to show 1 - 2 -3 -4 -5 rather than 5 10 15 etc

Got it at the shop now cuz I just need it fixed...

Thanks for all the advice and Ill keep ya'll updated

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts