The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Another option for bigger brake upgrade.

marvinmadman

So we would just get outlander rotors and caliper brackets and use our calipers?

boostx

Or have the rotors redrilled

marvinmadman

So 5 lug swap would take take of that? What about using the outlander calipers?

birdman24

Yes being 5 lug would make swapping the rotors easier but if you have 4 lug still just drill the rotors to fit. Drilling would be a lot cheaper and less time consuming.

Terence

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Some of these parts (possibly all, haven't looked exhaustively yet) also appear to be used on current generation Lancers, sportback, etc.

Scientist

the 06+ outlander carries same braking system as the Lancer GTS.

For my JDM 07 i buy all Lancer GTS stuff

fuel

those rotors are also found on the Lancer Evo 4, 8G Galant VR-4 and the AWD 2G Diamantes. Unsure about the caliper brackets though, I know the Evo 4 and 8G Pre-facelift Galant VR-4 hubs have a different bolt spacing to the earlier 6G/7G/8G PFL GVR-4 and Evo 1-3.

fuel

^^ I believe the dimensions are similar but don't have the same lightweight design.

ercp98

just want to add, for those whose want to go this route.
there is a cheaper option for sourcing new outlander
caliper brackets.

from amazon
manufacturer: Febest
part # 0477C-CWF
price $34.20 free shipping

tektic

Just to be clear, this uses 1gb dual piston calipers with a bigger rotor and bracket from the outlander? I'm asking I'm not sure.

mitsuturbo

There is yet another option as well. Apparently Cadillac CTS-V calipers have the same bolt pattern as our cars. The details are a little fuzzy, as I found it on probably the worst DSM forum of all (DSMTalk) but it looks like it could be done fairly easily as the calipers essentially bolt right up.

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting tektic:
Just to be clear, this uses 1gb dual piston calipers with a bigger rotor and bracket from the outlander? I'm asking I'm not sure.

this uses the stock VR4 calipers (same as 1GB) and yes, outlander rotors, you've got to match them to your stock rotors and redrill them. I bolted my old rotor to the new rotor (one lug hole lines up) then centered up the center bores, clamped them so they wouldnt move and drilled the 4 lug pattern (3 holes) into the new rotors.

It was really easy.

89Patches

I did the Outlander "Upgrade" on #19 and I honestly wouldn't recommend doing them (Waste of money IMO) But I maybe a bit bias as I mostly road coarse my car and after about 2 laps at my local track the brakes start to heat soak and by the end of the 3rd lap I have next to no brakes. And no I didn't use cheap pads/ rotors....

As for the CTS-V upgrade sounds interesting. I am surprised it really hasn't caught on yet as it sounds like a pretty straight forward swap.

r4pt0x

I'm driving this as the "summer brake" on my FWD Galant turbo. Due to the increased size the heat capacity and also the lever arm is bigger, so the brake is much more fading-resistant and has a better "bite" (therefore I mounted the smaller 276mm version for winter to prevent instantly blocking wheels on snow...)

The Calipers are basically the same as on Evo 1-3, Evo 4 gravel spec, Sigma and all Outlander up to the newest PHEV models. So calipers are easy to get (used or aftermarket) and not very expensive and also pads are available from all major brands (ferodo, pagid, carbone lorraine...)

Only difference throughout all the different models: the brake line is either connected via banjo or core thread, but brake lines are available for both (goodridge).

The discs are easily redrilled to 4x114,3mm pin diameter. Either on a post drill or - mostly for a few bucks - by any workshop with a cnc-machine or cnc-lathe. We used to bring ~4-5 sets of discs and a crate of beer and it always worked out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

strokin4dr

I've read everything I could find on the ctsv calipers. AFAIK, no one has completed the swap....or at least completed it and posted about it. The mounting tabs are correctly spaced, and they are cheap. Seems like the offset of the caliper was strange though. I guess rotors with custom hats would be the best solution. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quoting 89Patches:
I did the Outlander "Upgrade" on #19 and I honestly wouldn't recommend doing them (Waste of money IMO) But I maybe a bit bias as I mostly road coarse my car and after about 2 laps at my local track the brakes start to heat soak and by the end of the 3rd lap I have next to no brakes. And no I didn't use cheap pads/ rotors....

When looking at Wilwoods for my Colt (one off custom drilled rotors, spacers, and 4 piston calipers), the drop in pads setups gave something like 6 temp ranges.
Your pads likely do not have the needed temp range for what you were using or were outside the useage range, that your rotors were able maintain a heat sink for.
Not bashing, just stating that the Outlander rotors and most pads sets made for it, unless custom (READ heavy metal content with additives to match high temps) and essentially rotor killing style due to excessive wear, it's simply more swept area per rotor revolution that a you will get.

For the street, with an upgrade cold grip and or similar cold friction and elevated friction at higher temps, you will gain something from that setup; as you stated, this will only take you to a point. Everything overheats because not racecar, and not designed for racecar, yet.

We have to remember that these setups are for the street, not the tracks.

Setting aside the street, track setups use higher temp (super expensive fluids), larger rotors/swept area per revolution, rotor killing pads (mostly), and likely more piston area per corner with appropriate squeeze force, ducting, drivers who don't over run the brakes and understand their limits.

GVR4's using stock components can only go so far, as will using the Outlander parts. The Outlander parts do give an increase in efficiency, so a minor win for a decent price.

Did I mention that 2005ish Outlander struts, look very similar to what the GVR4/DSM/EVO/CSM use?

That's another story .... sitting on my garage floor.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts