The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tuning with maf translator and logging data with palm m100 ?

I'm running a 16g (don't know big/small/evo) on the waste gate. My boost gauge says 9psi at 3k, 12 at 3.5k, and 15 at 4k. I'm not sure if my gauge is working properly. I believe the waste gate should be at 12?

Well anyways, I'm having some idle issues. The car will sometimes idle great at 750 or idle at 1800. Sometimes it wants to die, sometimes it doesn't?

The resistance on the IAC came back at between 27.5 and 28. From what I have read it should be between 28 and 32. None of the coils are dead, but maybe it is bad because it's a hair to low?

There is quite a bit of black coming out the back, I'm assuming it's running a bit rich, doesn't make sense though, since it's near stock, but I don't know how these are supposed to run from the factory. I'm also not running a cat convertor.

A little off topic, sorry.

I have a GM Maf and maf translator, the translator is set to '0' across the board and I'm running stock blue top injectors with a walbro 255. I've been told my stock FPR can't handle a 255? I do have a FPR gauge and it reads 36. I've read that's good?

I guess I should start with logging data. Here's what my plug looks like:

dataloggerconnector.jpg

Is that all the wires I need? Should the red one be connected to something?

I need some software. Where can I get it and how do I get it on the palm m100?

I guess once I get some figures I can figure out how to set the maf translator.

This is my first time playing with a boosted engine and doing any tuning, any and all help is appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

ktmrider

Why the GM MAF? Why the 255 Wally?

Just a suggestion, go back to stock and get it running "properly" first. Then make a power goal. Then buy ALL the parts. Then learn how to install and tune all your parts. Then xx, yy, zz, etc.

Sorry you're approaching things backwards IMO. Start from a solid foundation and don't do things half baked. Your engine and wallet will thank you....

Because that's what the car came with and I don't have money to go back to stock

grocery_getter

Stock setup is not "All 0" on the MAF translator unit. Do you have the manual for it? To start with, for a stock setup, aux = 0, base = 2, the rest you gotta do your own looking into it. click

chach161

Ok, so first things first you need to get the palm connected to give the group some good data so I will talk about that first.
You need to download "Palm Desktop" I think that can be found on Palm's website. Then you need to download the logger that you want to use. Tunnersteign (not sure on spelling) is what I always used to use but there is another one that I use now but not around my palm to find the name but I think it is PocketLogger. The new one also has an excel connector so you can view everything and graph it in excel. (the excel download is a separate one and is not needed)
Get into Palm desktop and it will have a way to install programs, then sync your palm and you have logging.

Idle a tricky thing, it seems like the ECU is always messing with it. I have a Apexi SAFC that really helps to adjust idle a bit on the fly with a modified car. When you get your Logger working check your Idle switch and Throttle should be at 9% at idle. I would guess your Idle switch is closed when it Idles at 750 and is sticking open when it is at 1800 so that makes me think you could turn your Idle adjustment screw in a bit.
I think people just jump to think it is the IAC and I have seen people with 5 or so IAC's and they arn't normally the problem. Not really going to go into that with the whole IAC stepper motor but the ECU not knowing where the stepper is but just adjusting it.

GM Maft. I think I adjusted mine about -20% to -25% when I switched from a 2G MAS. My car is far from stock though. But I would guess it is your GM Maft that is making you so rich.

Good luck. Just keep working at it.

You guys rock! Excellent info! Thank you! I'm waiting on a few more parts to come in, then I can get it back on the road for testing, ill have info for yall soon!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned