The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear Diff fill hole plug stripped

Tried and tried with a 24mm socket and breaker bar to remove it but no luck. Tried propane, mapp gas, pb blaster, deep creep etc etc.

Tried hammering on a 7/8" wrench and it wouldn't go on.

Vice grips not working. Electric Impact gun won't clear the gas tank.

Don't know what to do guys...cold chisel and hammer? I pulled the drain plug first so the car has no fluid...not too worried about it since it isn't my DD but don't want to sit on this long.

Thanks

Terry Posten

Remove the cover from the diff, then put it in a vise and have at it.

Even if you can't get it off, just get a new cover from a junker in the bone yard.

It looks easy to get the cover off except for the top 2 bolts. What do those top bolts go to? Also, do I need to RTV the cover or pop a gasket in there? Not sure what to expect, but would like to be prepared.

Thank you

Terry Posten

No gasket required. Thin bead of RTV.

Just drop the mustach brace and remove the cover bolts. Won't take long.

Thanks...what color RTV...always get it wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Terry Posten

Grey. Clean the plate and diff housing really well and use a thin bead. Smooth the bead with your finger to give a full contact and let "skin" for about 5 minutes.

Slap it on and bolt it down.

I found it works best to finger tighten all the bols and then tighten to half tourgue, then go to factory spec.

donkeylips

Yeah these tended to be rounded fairly often. Even worse is breaking the diff cover bolts...

Thanks for all guys....are the diff bolts easy to break? Are they hard to get off? There are enough of them to make me think about this as well.

Terry Posten

They are big bolts and I have not had an issue with the two cars I have had.

But I always clean the bolts once out with a wire wheel and use anti-seize when I reassemble.

Alright, will grab a chisel and a hammer and make a last ditch effort...then the diff cover will come off if not.

Thanks for your time.

Well pulled the diff bolts and of course the top one won't budge and I rounded the bolt. I can't even see the bolt....I am guessing this is a far worse situation than the fill plug being stripped. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

grocery_getter

Did you use a 12 point socket or a 6 point socket? For situation requiring a good application of torque, please only use 6 point socket.

6 point socket....finally got it off...socket was probably crap...find when I am in this mess and get a fresh socket things work out better...also torched the bolt and used liquid wrench to cool it, and repeated the cycle a few times.

Now the diff cover won't come off. Been hitting it with a 3 pound sledge hammer and a 4 pound engineering hammer...I don't want to bend up the fins or leave it all marked up....

Thanks

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts