The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

tire suggestions?

turbohf

i found this page already listing the common tire sizes for a GVR4.

i will be running a 17x7.5" set of wheels. so im looking to pick a set of 225-45-17 tires. my Galant will [hopefully] be riding on some EVO IX KYB's with cut stock EVO springs this weekend. and also shortly in the future would like to see what kinda trouble i can get my self into with an FP Red (guessing ~350whp street).
i do mostly street/highway driving. but still drive spiritedly when i can.

i will be keeping my stock wheels to put snow tires on, for shitty weather.

also i would like not to spend a ton of money on tires. i have already spent too much money, and am broke lol. but the Galant really, REALLY needs tires. plus i have these wheels sitting around that i bought that i cant use because the tires are too small (205-40-17)

so here is what i had in mind, but im open to more suggestions/incite.
Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 $119
Sumitmo HTR Z III $98
Yokohama S.drive $122
Dunlop Direzza DZ101 $118

really i would like to spend 400bucks. but i might be dreaming. after you add tax (like 10%) or shipping (55-60) then mounting (4-8ea) and balance (might not be needed as we have a balancer at work, but cant mount my tires as they are reverse mount?)
also if you know better/cheaper places to get these tires? please speak up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks

The direzzas are a really good tire for the money, and the yokos are a little bit better yet cost a little more. Another tire to consider is the maxxis maz1 victra. I have noticed more and more kumhos developing belt separation, so you might want to watch out for those.

What style tire machine do you use at work? Most rim clamp style machines should be able to clamp from the outside.

citymunky

Tire rack is not the cheapest place to buy tires btw.

turbohf

i know tirerack doesnt have the best prices, was using that as example.
think i will be buying these tires, from this vendor: click

Quoting Zenith:
The direzzas are a really good tire for the money, and the yokos are a little bit better yet cost a little more. Another tire to consider is the maxxis maz1 victra. I have noticed more and more kumhos developing belt separation, so you might want to watch out for those.

What style tire machine do you use at work? Most rim clamp style machines should be able to clamp from the outside.

we dont have a clamp style. its some stupid special machine for doing PAX tires (honda run flats). it locks down with a center post... i think. i work in parts, not service.

turbowop

I just bought new Direzzas for 1051 for this coming summer. My buddies that run in a chump car series run them and love them. Good tire for the money.

Oh whoops. Never mind. I got the Z-1 star specs for my car which is different from what you have linked.

Last edited:

SouthCaliVR4

I have the Dz101's on 825. Been a good tire I'm on my second set actually, Can't say they lasted a good long time but I had an alignment issue. Handling & traction are superb.

thedsmguy

I've been thinking about the General as-03 lately. As well as Continental extreme contact DWS which are both high treadwear tires but seem to have good reviews..

Quoting thedsmguy:
I've been thinking about the General as-03 lately. As well as Continental extreme contact DWS which are both high treadwear tires but seem to have good reviews..

I was working at their Uvalde test track during development of those tires, and both seemed to exhibit instability after a fair amount of heat is built up in them. They both exhibited good longitudinal traction, and the contis were highly responsive to inputs and very communicative, but my preference from Conti/General was the SportContact 2 & 3 - they are more responsive, have more grip, are very progressive at breakaway, and cost alot more.

If it were my money though, I would get the direzzas or sdrives.

Last edited by a moderator:

the best bang for ur buck would be the s drive yokos or even falken azenis rt615k or yoko advan neova ad08 im runnin falken azenis and love em on and off the track wet traction sucks but pretty close to the same milage as the s-drives and a much better tire take it from a tire guy man..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ive Got Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs- on my Racecar, they are the best thing i ever bought for that car, they stick like glue!

(only have a 200 Tread Wear Rating though...)

rdomeck

Look up Continental DWS. I have been auto crossing for over 15 years and have purchased many sets of tires. Aside from purchasing a set of DOT rated racing tires for the street you would be very hard to beat the grip of these things for the dollar. I just put a set of 17" on and they cost about $125 each from Tirerack. Although they don't have the absolute best price, they have the best customer service. There prices aren't bad just not the best. I purchased my first set from them many many years ago and have never purchased any place else!

i run test tires for numerous tire vendors and been wrkin with and on tires for the last 5 years id say its safe to say im pretty up to date on these kinds of things spend the extra few bucks for the better tire.......i wouldnt buy the dws for my car sport contact 2 or 3 maybe but not dws.....dunlop i cant speak for cause iv only tested 2 models of them and were both good......however tires are like oil everyones got there brand and will fight for em to the death drive wat you know but ever go cheap

gvr4ever

I'd avoid Sumitomo. Actually probably not really a bad tire, just not a great tire. I ran all weather performance ones in my old mustang. The treat wear was actually really good, just what I needed for RWD abuse, the grip and rain performance were pretty crappy.

I 3rd the Continental Extreme Contact DW tires. They have a good tread wear rating, grip well, and are super quiet. I can't stress the quiet part enough. They are very nice tires and a good balance between performance and luxury.

every sumitomo iv ever drove on was better ride traction tread life all around better then the dws extreme contacts by far one of the worst tires iv ever drivin on if u want a tire that cant disapate heat for anything or a tire without a FULL CIRCUMFRINCIAL STEEL BELT CONSTRUCTION which means prone to belt sep at high temps low silica compound which means its a green mold and once is hot wears like nobodied buisness then feel free to go after the dws if u want good tires look at falkens yokos nittos or even michellin more money but far better tires

Rausch

I've had good luck with the Hankook V12 Evos. When I bought the car, they installed a new set of Michelin PS2s. By comparison, the Hankooks give about 90% of the dry weather grip, far more tread life (Was down the the wear bars in well under 10k miles on the Michelins), and IMO better water evacuation. I will say that wet weather mechanical grip (Think slow speed, sharp steering input) is less than that of the PS2s. I'm on my second complete set so far (I run 255s all the way around on the Bimmer) . They do take some decent miles to 'break in', but an excellent budget choice. They're quiet as well.

I had Sumitomos on the Galant and was not really impressed with the dry traction. Overall they were decent, but didn't do any one thing particularly well.

If I ever buy a nice set of wheels, I"d wrap them in Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Not that it's relevant to this discussion.

Last edited:

PJGross

I have the Hankook V12s on my V. My goal was to find the best budget performance tire I could. I run 275's rear, 245s front. I can buy two full sets of the V12s before buying one set of several other performance tires.

I've been really happy with mine. Got them last summer and through fall and now this spring they have been good. Haven't pushed them too hard, but I think for street driving and spirited twisties they are fine. I haven't taken them to their limit yet and have pulled a few near 1g turns on the dash gauge. Seem to be a pretty good value. They replaced Goodyear F1 GSD3s so I can't really compare them to something similar cost. I do think the F1s were a bit stickier on dry pavement.

Seem to still be round and on cold mornings they are not too rough for the first few miles.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts