The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Anyone running 17c or 19c?

turbojew

Im curious how these turbos spool and how much power they produce on the 2.0
Ive been into starions 4g54s 2.6 sohc and on 15 lbs on a 17c stock motor (68k) no bolt ons made over 300 trq.
Is anyone running one of these on a gvr4?

turbojew

NOONE ON HERE? SERIOUSLY? NOONE HAS RUN A 17C OR 19C ON A 4G63?

I Really am curious to see if its worth it cause they are expensive and hard to come by.

turbowop

Not worth it. These are older turbos and technology. Much better stuff has come out since those were popular. There is good reason nobody is running them.

turbojew

It flows more than any 16g. Including S16. The 19c will compete and exceed 18g. In CFMs atleast.

IncorpoRatedX

my friend ran one on his car. I think he ran mid 12's with it. It's a decent turbo, works fine, if you get it for cheap, go to town on it. If you're buying new, i'd say there's better alternatives.

quicktsi

I have a friend who has one of the Frankenstein turbos sitting on a shelf if you are interested?

JNR

IIRC, Syclone/Typhoons used a 17C turbo stock, so maybe that's why they are so much $$$...As others have said though, you're better off looking for something else, unless you had one already and/or it was real cheap.

turbojew

Yes but the 19c is a bit bigger. I am gonna have a fully built block capable of taking anything but i want fast spool.

IncorpoRatedX

then go with a decently sized t3/t4...?

I don't understand the ordeal here a 19c will make damn good power on a stock 1g/vr4 engine, it will do just fine on a built engine, but the set up will at that point be limited by fuel and turbo size. So i guess the real questions is; what are your power goals with the car?

(i always snicker when i ask that because im usually asking people that dont have a clue and have never even owned a 300hp vr4, let alone a 5 or 600 hp one.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

turbojew

I Would like the ability to make 400+ HP On High Boost 300+ HP Daily Tune
Im trying to stay away from t3/t4 is there late spool. I want a car that is very fast from light to light.
Ive Never seen a 17c or 19c maxed out to its full potential. 15 lbs with no supporting mods was insane.

Diego

So what you're saying is..... You want to pull up at a light near McDonald's, all while waiting for your victim be it a Civic, or Camry, or the unsuspecting Metro. You thus, rev your motor at ninety-kajillion rpms, and speed off, all to stop at the next red light and claim dominance by frowning and heckling the scared and confused 87 year old grandmother of 4....

f*** speed, you better by brakes.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

fuel

Why bother with a 17c or 19c and machined housing when you can buy a 20g and off the shelf matching bolt on housing?

EMX5636

Quoting turbojew:

Ive Never seen a 17c or 19c maxed out to its full potential. 15 lbs with no supporting mods was insane.

I would assume you have never ridden in a fast car. 15psi into a 4g63 is far from "insane" What is your idea of fast spool? What kind of RPM you looking for max boost at? There is a decent little jump between 16G sized turbos, and 20G+ equivalents.

turbojew

4g54 2.6 not a 4g63. Ive rode in a 600 AWHP s4 took the french fry out of my mouth haha
Im looking for full boost by 3k. I reached it before that in a stock 4g54 no bolt ons. I feel that with a lightened fly wheel headwork higher compression etc i can full spool by 2500 which is what I TRUELY want. Instant full power all the way to redline. Im more considering the 19c to the 17c.

turbojew

Turbochargers.com Sells 17cs that bolt up directly to DSM mani.

EMX5636

Full boost by 3K is even pushing it on a Evo3 16G. It will help if you can run E85 to get some higher power. I don't see any DSM bolt on 17C turbo's on that site however, but I'm not sure which exhaust wheel they used, so maybe an off the shelf 5 or 6cm housing might work.

MitchooO

Ehh.... Bigger turbos give the other guy a chance. Theirs not a hole lot of cars around my area that showed my thrill for power high in the rpm range like mine gives you, Right now I have a t4 twin scroll 60-1, I forget what size the housings are on it. But I would never give up the top end power it makes compared to the smaller turbos that have been on in the past. If your worrieD about spool time you can just downshift. I myself cant see a turbo that spools before at 2500 to be very efficient in the higher rpm range OR make power past 5 or 6k rpm.

turbojew

Quoting EMX5636:
Full boost by 3K is even pushing it on a Evo3 16G. It will help if you can run E85 to get some higher power. I don't see any DSM bolt on 17C turbo's on that site however, but I'm not sure which exhaust wheel they used, so maybe an off the shelf 5 or 6cm housing might work.

I called them, They are having website issues. Half of their stock isnt listed on the site. And you dont want a 5 or 6 cm housing grab a TD05h-12A of a starion it has a 7cm housing and will bolt right on. And Mitch That is exactly why im trying to find the perfect turbo with the balance of spool and top end I want. A TD06 17c or 19c is basically a mitsu t3/t4 turbo. It is t3 flanged and flows WAY more than its TD05 and TD05H counterparts but at the price of the flange. I am gonna have a fully built balanced block thatll prolly easy rev out past 8k. I want to find something that spools fast will make power til i shift and mounts to a DSM Flange. The Flange is very important as I need bolt on.

Last edited:

EMX5636

Yea, I meant TD05 or TD06 (like a 20G). Sorry. If you are set on that turbo family, I would probably go for the 19C. As long as it's only a compressor wheel difference, spool should be similar.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts