The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What goes up but wont go down?

maxash0775

Answer.... My 2nd gear. Now that my alternator issue is resolved my car has thrown me another curve ball. In the last 2 weeks out of no where my car will not let me downshift into second gear. I can shift up thru all the gears smoothly, but all of a sudden I have to be going like 10 miles an hour or it will grind. No changes to anything. The only other issue I have noticed is a squeeking when I press my clutch but that has been there for awhile. Any help please.

Thanks

It is very common to see a worn out pedal assembly that will cause grinding issues and a squeeky pedal. If you get down there and look, you'll see that the clutch pedal isn't directly connected to the push rod for the clutch master cylinder. There is a tube that houses a connecting rod between the pedal and another bracket that actually attaches to the clutch master cylinder push rod. This rod and this bracket are keyed to each other and secured with a flat washer, lock washer, and nut. The key way can develope a "sloppiness" between the two parts and cause the pedal to have to be buried deeper to achieve the same level of disengagement of the pressure plate. The problem lies with the use of a stiffer clutch or when the play exceeds the available amount of pedal travel to allow the pressure plate to fully release the clutch disc. When this happens, you start to get grinding.

Look up +clutch +pedal +assembly -re:

Read the results regarding testing and repair of the assembly.

Shep Trans sells brass replacemant rod bushings that withstand the heat of welding the two pieces of the assembly back together in the right spot. The factory bushings are plastic and cannot withstand the heat.

Or you just have a worn out trans.

Last edited by a moderator:

transparentdsm

bad syncro's, it just happens. i couldn't downshift into 1st at all, i had to come to a complete stop to go into first. be careful because you don't want to lose second gear all together.

Wizardawd

My talon does that, I usually rev match, push it towards 1st then it goes in.

Wiz

maxash0775

No problem in any other gear up or down except second. Is there anyone who builds new and stronger pedal assemblies. I have had one break before in another car. Just trying to wait till bonus time so I can get it all done, but my car doesnt seem to want to wait. She has alreay waited 21 years i guess.

RedTwo

JNZ and Shepard? sell complete pedal assemblies or new clutch pedals. It's a bitch of a job by the looks of it though.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts