The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rack n Pinion Advice / "4ws" light

Long story short, took deliver on car before mechanic finished cause was taking forever. Was told I should replace rack and pinion in the front; haven't been underneath yet to check ps lines to front and back. Options and opinions?

gramkrakr89

A good place to start is diagnosing the exact problem. I'm not too familiar with the 4ws system, but I'm sure some more experienced members can help you out with problem areas to check.

Lucas03ES

My front rack was leaking, so I just went ahead and took my entire 4ws system out, and installed a dsm rack that I had laying around. I found it easier than having to rebuild any parts, and it leaves less room for something to get messed up later on.

gramkrakr89

^^ Did the exact same thing...

But a diagnosis should come first... you could still have functioning 4WS if you wanted it... if you're willing to fix it. For that, you need to know just what is wrong.

If you get tired of chasing the problems, though, a 1G rack bolts right up.

Thanks for the advice. I obviously know I gotta diagnose the problem before anything else. I'll look into the 1g rack if I have to replace it. Thanks

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned