The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Eclipse coilovers?

Ben

I'm sure this is common information that has been talked about, but I havn't mastered the search here and don't see anything.
My Galant has everything from a 92 laser underneath it. suspension, subframes, rear end axles, knuckles, brakes and all. I am about to start looking for coilovers. Would I not buy coilovers for a 1g AWD?

turbohf

good question. and i wanna say that the strut tops are different mounting. but not 100% on that...

also for the search:
-re:

Eaglesfly

Quoting Ben:
I'm sure this is common information that has been talked about, but I havn't mastered the search here and don't see anything.
My Galant has everything from a 92 laser underneath it. suspension, subframes, rear end axles, knuckles, brakes and all. I am about to start looking for coilovers. Would I not buy coilovers for a 1g AWD?

Yes, for sure the upper mounts are different for the fronts. The Galant has the strut hat 90 degrees offset from a DSM. I'm currently working on making mine work by drilling out the third hole in the correct spot (the one that normally has the black rubber plug in it).

Ben

Could I adjust that out? Right now the front sits really high with the laser suspension. So much that it has a lot of positive camber and it gets worse when it squats

Eaglesfly

Quoting brunoboy:
1g top hats and our top hats are the same. rears may sit funny due to the height difference of each car.

Incorrect. If it is a true coilover with a pillowball upper camber adjustable mount, they are NOT the same. The VR4 plate is 90 degrees offset from a DSM. A conventional strut however will bolt right in.

Ben

Would I need to buy galant coil overs then?
I saw somethign about a ksport group buy, but I'm sure that's long gone.

Leon_R

I have used DSM coilovers on my Galants in the past, the only funny thing I remember was the rear spring adjustment, it was "fully out". It was OK in my case, but if I wanted it any higher, I would not have been able to do that.

This has been so long ago, that I do not remember if these were JIC or AGX... Probably JICs because they have shorter bodies for lowering DSMs.

Last edited:

Ben

The difference in the upper mount may explain why my camber is the way it is in in front.

was it still low and you might want to raise it a little? I don't want it too low in the back becuase I have kind of a tall slick and this thing is going to squat.
By your second comment, I'm assuming it was on the low side.

grocery_getter

If you install a DSM coil over with its strut mount in a GVR4, instead of a camber adjustment, you will get a caster adjustment.

Ben

Do galants normally have 4 holes at the top of the front strut mount? In that body that is. Mine does

Ben

Ok, I wonder if I can use the galant coil overs with the eclipse knuckles....
I just need to call Ksport and see what they say. hopefully they will be able to help me out.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned