The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

AWD Summit tranny parts in GVR4

Hey, I just disambled my JDM GVR4 tranny. The 1st/2nd gear had hard time engaging(The first was just grinding and not engaging at all). Btw I did the cables adjustement and AC Delco Fluid and did not work.

I have a AWD Manual Summit tranny under my hand. First sight it look just the same.

Can I put the 1st/2nd gears assembly into the JDM GVR4 tranny??

Do I have to put both 1st/2nd AND 3th/4th gear assembly to make sure the gears will fit togheter??

thanks

random image of Gear assembly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif:
jacks_EVO_5spd_rebuild_02.jpg

brisvr4

If they are just grinding it should be a fairly simple case of putting in new syncros.

Been told that the Baladeurs(don't know the english word for that:p...The parts that slip up and down)are gone also on the gear assembly....

I could just slap the Summit assembly in...

brisvr4

That would be the hub and sliders.
Perhaps you might be better off talking to one of the gearbox guys over there like Jacks, Shep, Tmz etc?

Leon_R

What year is the Summit tranny?

If it is 92, it will bolt-in. If it is 93-96, you will need to follow 2G tranny in a 1G VFAQ.

If you want to use Summit tranny guts, remember that Summit has smaller viscous coupling and a matching center diff cover. So I wouldn't use those parts. But you should be able to swap in gear set (not just one shaft).

Also, if swapping synchros was trevial, Shep wouldn't be driving around in a 9 second GTR /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

pauleyman

Is the transmission a w5m31 or a w5m33? w5m33 should have many of the same internals.

There is a code on the summit tranny:

B0T 4131 NPXV

It's harder than expected...Ive been told by a tranny guy to keep the shims and all the gears from the same tranny to make sure the tranny won't make noise and will last more than 1 week...lol

So I decided to use all the gears from the Summit in the summit casings except for the front Diff(to keep same gear ratio F/R and LSD) BUT the front summit diff have smaller diameter and so the diff casing is a bit smaller and the GVR4 front diff don't fit into the summit Casing!!!

Leon_R

Any idea on the year of Summit tranny?

Keeping the same shims is better than nothing, but you really should properly shim the bearings!

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned