The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

evo fmic core question

jnava

Staff member
I've gotten the inlet turned and rewelded and a issue came up. Some of the guides say no cutting needed on the bumper support. Doesn't it then defeat the purpose of installing a better fmic if you don't cut the bumper support? I just want to see if my best option is to cut up the bumper support for better direct airflow or leave it as is. Lmk.

citymunky

Is your bumper cut?

jnava

Staff member
My bumper is laying in my garage ready to be installed or have the bumper support cut.

524of1000

I cut my bumper support due to fitment, not airflow issues. No air is coming though the bumper cover plastic and then the steel support. Almost all the airflow to the IC will come from the one large opening on the bumper cover. To me, cutting the slats from there is only personal preference. I like how they look so I just opened them up a bit more.

Okayplayer

There is a good example in the how to section. click . I plan on going this route in a few weeks. Looks pretty simple.

broxma

By cutting the support, do you mean removing the section of the support which sits in front of the top part of the IC when mounted? The Evo bumper support has holes in it for this reason, but think about it like this. All the air rushing through the bumper opening is being spread out as it collides with things. The airflow in front of the car is so turbulent, that removing material in front of that one section is going to have minimal, possibly no change in the efficiency of the intercooler.

/brox

jnava

Staff member
Broxma, that's the response I was looking for. I was trying to understand if there were any advantages to cutting it or not. Thanks!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned