The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

wideband...

transparentdsm

If i get a wideband with a 1v output can i wire that into the car and run it as my narrowband through the ecu ?

If i can, would that make the ecu read a better voltage from the sensor and kinda self tune to the chips air fuel settings that i have in my car ?

I'm just trying to get a little better tune, after i rebuild my motor and front end, without going ecmlink or any aftermarket fuel tuning. The car is going to be used for a lot of just daily driving and i do not really want to have a full tune just something safe and fun..

Lukefraizer

Well there are some iffy things about it. However this would in theory work. You need to make sure the input signal to the ecu is supposed to be 1v than you have to make sure the resistance is being shown properly through the output of the wideband to send signal correctly to the ecu. If all that is correct than yes you should be able to do that. Meaning the o2 sensor has the same resistance as the stock one and the output out of your gauge shows that properly. I didn't run my wideband to my stock ecu but that isn't saying your not onto something here! But if it is all incorrect you could be in a world of hurt from the variation in fuel levels that could be getting sent. I would try to just save up for a stand alone ecm.... that is just my opinion though off of what I know about the ecu's in our cars.

Luke

transparentdsm

So this is the gauge I'm thinking of getting click and it says a 1v output for the ecu. I'm thinking if i check and make sure the resistance is the same out of the gauge and to the ecu before splicing the wire i should, in theory, be good. i understand what you mean about the fuel consumption being off, so if i try it i will be running a datalogger consistently to make sure I'm not hurting the car. It isn't that i can't afford a stand alone, I'm just trying to figure out a way around using one because I'm not trying to make my car a monster, just have the chip that is in my ecu run my fuel a little better.

I'm thinking running a wideband through a narrowband output on the gauge would just have better volt output and more consistent reading of air/fuel mixtures ?
If it reads in windeband then converts the wideband into a more solid narrowband reading I should have a better tune without having to change my air/fuel mixtures with a stand alone or a piggyback, right?

Everything I'm thinking of here is all in theory and I am not sure if it will work, but I think I may be on to something and have to try this. Please add your input on what you think of my idea everyone. The more input the better.

Brunoboy

hey Shane, I have a LC-1 wired into the stock location pin on the ECU and I am running Ecmlink. I had to Program the ecu to simulate narrowband and I had to tell the Sensor itself what voltage meant what and when to switch over. I dont think it works by just installing the sensor and hoping the ECU will tune itself.
-Shane

transparentdsm

Shane does your LC-1 have a 1 volt output wire on it or is it the 5 volt output and thats why you had to go into ecmlink and simulate narrowband from the 5 volt wideband output??

Brunoboy

i think it is a 5v, but I think when running any type of wideband, it would need to be programmed into the ecu that its reading a new sensor since you are going to be simulating a stock narrowband.

transparentdsm

The only reason I have seen anyone simulate narrowband is because the wideband that they have doesn't have a 0-1 volt output, which the 0-1 volt output is a narrowband output, at least that is what i have been gathering from all the things i have been researching.

123abc

My AEM UEGO has a 0-1v output wire meant for hooking into the ecu. I've never tried it but the instruction manual stated that's what it's for if I remember right.

transparentdsm

So were still in theory here, but its looking like i may be right. So now to buy the windeband kit and start testing some things.

123abc

If I were you I'd find the manual online in pdf form, and make sure before making a purchase.

transparentdsm

well i mean i need the wideband no matter what for the car because if i can't run the 1v wire to the ecu and kinda have a self tuning car, i will need it to tune the ecm link or the safc2 that i will be adding to the car.

grocery_getter

Some wideband unit out there does have a 0-1 v output right along side the regular 0-5v output. PLX and Innovate wideband have this. AEM wideband does not.

You can plug in the 0-1 v output wire to the ecu front O2 sensor wire input to:

1. save money from running both a wideband and also the regular factory front o2 sensor. If your regular front o2 sensor happen to be bad and you need to spend money buying a stock factory replacement, buying a wideband unit with the 0-1v output capability means you are getting your wideband output for further logging or just as a readout purposes while at the same time satisfying the stock ecu need for a narrow band 0-1v input.

2. avoid having to weld a second bung to your exhaust. You can remove your front o2 sensor and put the wideband in its place and not have to worry about having to weld a second exhaust bung on your exhaust.

transparentdsm

^ thank you, that is half of what i was trying to figure out. the other half is will it read a more clear 0-1v reading because it is going through the wideband before it is translated into a narrowband feed? kinda like having an autotune because i have a chip that tells my computer the exact air fuel ratio that i want my car to receive ? if that makes any sense to you.

jepherz

Staff member
No. The LC-1 just has a translation graph you have to configure. You'd just adjust it to reflect the same as a narrowband. It's not going to change anything about your tune, especially since the factory ecu only operates in closed loop and uses o2 feedback when in low load conditions.

transparentdsm

it may be a factory ecu but my chip in my ecu is a stage 3, if it is converting the wideband into a narrow band feed then i think it will do exactly what im wanting it to do. not like a real autotune, but just a little better performance over my stock o2 sensor? i have a problem wording things on the computer. if this were in person i could make more sense of all of it to everyone.. i have a problem writing my words in how im trying to think and say it.

transparentdsm

also im not going to be using an LC-1 im using a prosport that has a 0-1 volt output that is meant to be connected to the stock ecu o2 sensor input. im just tryign to use the wideband with the 1v output in place of the stock o2 sensor to get a better reading from the sensor to my ecu so it runs cleaner and if my a/f ratios on my stage 3 chip are set to be at a certain valve will the wideband read it better and through the 1v output will it make the ecu read output voltage beter

grocery_getter

No it will not make your car runs better. It will not autotune your ecu for you. It will not make your car runs better. The fact that it is getting the narrow band reading off a wideband does not matter. It doesn't make this narrowband reading any better or any more accurate compared to a regular narrowband sensor output. It is just a voltage translation. Again, it does not matter. It will just be as good as a regular narrowband O2 sensor. It doesn't matter that your ecu is stage eleventybillion. It is just a narrowband O2 signal. That's it.

Plus, do you know what a stock ecu or a stage elenventybillion ecu does with a narrowband signal? Nothing to do with wide open throttle performance whatsoever.

transparentdsm

thank you thats all i was trying to figure out. it will be the same voltage output from both signals. like i said if i wasnt typing this would be easier for me..

MuffinMan7580

The ecu is just looking for an oscillation of the narrowband signal. Having a wideband will do nothing except let YOU know what afr's you're running.

transparentdsm

my point being i was buying a wideband with a narrowband output wire. all i wanted to know is if it would have a more clear outgoing signal from the wideband module than the one that comes from a stock narrowband sensor, making the car run a cleaner a/f ration over all. because correct me if im wrong, but the ecu reads the signal from the stock narrowband sensor then tells the car how much air and fuel to add or subtract to make it run at the air fuel ratios set by the company or by an aftermarket chip(dsmchip). i was just hoping that the narrowband output signal would read better coming from a wideband because it is reading a larger perimeter then shrinking it down to send a 0-1v output signal. it will read the signal through my ecu obviously, but im unsure of if it will read the same or a little better.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts