The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Messed up rear subframe bracket bolt

donkeylips

You know the two brackets on either side of the subframe that are held on with a bolt, and one of the large nuts that holds the subframe on? How important are these?

I didn't break the bolt, but the weld that keeps the nut from spinning. I loosened it a bit, then it just started spinning. Anybody have experience with this? Can it be accessed from up top anywhere? I can cut the head off of the bolt, but I don't know where to go from there.

123abc

If you pull the carpet up you should see them each held on by a couple 12mm bolts I believe. I broke mine, had to go to the hardware store for bolts big enough and grade 8.

donkeylips

It's not the bolt! I actually have spares. I guess the title of the thread is misleading. The problem is the nut on the other side. Hopefully I can get to it from the top. I'll check it out this weekend.

curtis

Post pictures

raptorWagon

Quoting donkeylips:
You know the two brackets on either side of the subframe that are held on with a bolt, and one of the large nuts that holds the subframe on? How important are these?

I didn't break the bolt, but the weld that keeps the nut from spinning. I loosened it a bit, then it just started spinning. Anybody have experience with this? Can it be accessed from up top anywhere? I can cut the head off of the bolt, but I don't know where to go from there.

Talking about the "dog ears" and this mount?

If it's the nut pictured here...that's pretty important.

Terry Posten

That bolt should have a flat flange inside the trunk that is held in place by a single bolt. Either the bolt is missing or broke.

donkeylips

Sorry, I can get a picture soon if we still need it. Yes it is the bracket you're pointing to; no it is not that nut. Just the bolt for the bracket. But it is a large bolt, and I think it is supposed to be torqued to a pretty high value.
And I believe the weld holding the nut has broken. Is it easy to get to from the top? I haven't had a chance to take a good look yet.
Thanks!

donkeylips

Doesn't really look like I can get to it from the top. Not sure what I'm going to do.
100_1228.jpg

100_1236.jpg

As a last resort, cut the head off of the bolt. Hole saw the area out, to get the old nut out and to give you a little working room. Get some good steel plate and the appropriate nut. Shape your plate steel so when you weld it to the bottom of the car, you get some good contact points and so it won't interfere with anything. Punch a hole in the right spot of your new plate, and weld the new nut to the inside of the plate. Then weld it to the car. It is a bunch of work, but...

Adorsey

If you really need to take it off you could do that^. I was unable to loosen that bolt from the car, but I did just enough to push the bracket away like you did to replace the rear subframe. I was able to tighten it back up again once I put the new subframe in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Does the bolt not tighten back up?

donkeylips

No, it doesn't. I put the subframe back in yesterday and the bolt just spins freely. It's not sticking out to far and the bracket does not move freely, so I'm wondering if it's ok to drive like that. At least through winter. This car is the winter beater but I don't really want to permanently damage anything.

Terry Posten

Just tack weld the brace in place. Something small that will hold it and you can use an angle grinder to cut the tack letter to remove it if you have to.

donkeylips

Exactly what I was thinking. ...except that I have no access to welding! I'll try to see if I can find someone to do it for me real quick.

Terry Posten

Grind a clean spot, take it to a muffler shop and then dab a bit of sealant/rust prevent or on it.

donkeylips

Yeah I just remembered after posting that I need to take it somewhere to have my exhaust fixed anyway and that I could have them do it. Excellent idea!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts