The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How to fix a sloppy shifter?

147/1000

The shifter in my gvr4 is looser than a $2 whore in bancock! What bushings do I need to replace, what is the best brand of bushings to use and where can I get them? I plan on swapping in a 1g TEL shifter at the same time if that makes any difference.

Last edited:

BluFalcon

I installed Symborski shifter base bushings in mine and used OEM plastic bushings on the lever and shifter mechanism itself. Looking at the bushings, it doesn't look like it'd be much trouble for a machine shop to whip up some bushings in a stronger material.

jepherz

Staff member
Well, the bushings serve as a wear item that lubricates the movement too though.

Check for the part numbers here

Whoodoo

There are 4 main areas where slop can be:
1) the bushings on the transmission
-This can be fixed by doing the age-old, tried-and-true skateboard bearing swap.

2) the cables themselves
-Unless they are really worn out, the amount of slop in the cables will be minimal and the only way to fix this is to get new ones.

3) the bushings that isolate the shifter assembly from the chassis
-These can be replaced with solid counterparts (symborski's)

4) the plastic bushings that are in the shifter assembly themselves
-The plastic bushings mentioned above are most likely your primary source of slop. I found that 3kgt/stealths have a wave washer in their shifter that does wonders for tightening things up even with old, worn bushings. When I made my short shifters, I also custom made new bushings. I got my final fitment turning them on a lathe with sandpaper, but that might not be an option for you if you don't have the right equipment. Of course, you can always buy new stock ones, but they do have some tolerance built in.

656of1000

The roller skate bearings will rust and seize eventually- I would not recommend using them. JNZ sells a shifter cable bushing kit that's far easier to install, and uninstall, if necessary. JNZ also sells the Symborski Shifter bushing kit, as well as a short throw shifter if you're interested. The shifter bushings in the shift lever are MB367320, and you'll need 6 of them. The most overlooked part is the small white shoe that goes on the shift linkage ON the trans. They wear down and cause a lot of slop- the part number is MD712919.

147/1000

Thanks for all the help guys! I haven't had time to pull it apart to look at it but when I do this info will come in very handy.

Whoodoo

Looking at the Symborski kit linked above, I had a few thoughts. I personally wouldn't buy it because it will introduce a bunch of vibration into the shifter. The purpose of the stock shifter base bushings are solely to isolate the shifter from chassis vibrations. Of course its a personal opinion whether that matters or not, but there are other methods of reducing shifter play that do not introduce vibration to the shifter assembly.

That being said, the linked kit does include a steel sleeve that goes in place of the stock bushing at the bottom shift arm. For those of you who haven't taken their shifter apart, this is an extremely sloppy connection. I found that it didn't matter how much you tightened that long bolt, you just can't get it to tighten up without making something that fits the bolt better. It might be worth it to get this kit for that alone. Or, as always, if you have a lathe they are really easy to make yourself.

147/1000

I ordered the symbroski kit and the shifter cable bushings yesterday. I will post my thoughts on them in this thread after I get them installed.

147/1000

Ok, I finally had time to pull it apart and look at it. 95% of the play is coming from the worn out bushing at the bottom ball of the shifter handle. Anyone know the part number and any place cheaper than the stealership to get one?

It seems like I remember seeing a print out of the shifter assembly with all the part numbers but I can't seem go find it now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

656of1000

The part number is MB307949. It'll cost you 71 cents at JNZ.

147/1000

Thanks Mark. I sent you a pm.

That is exactly what I need for mine. As well as a clutch pedal assembly repair kit. Thanks!

Time to whip out the credit card.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned