The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Starter engagement problem

turboflanagan

I have recently started driving the Galant again on a regular basis. Now it seems to be getting me back for letting it sit too long between spirited driving.

A problem with the starter has developed. The starter will not fully engage the flywheel to spin the engine over. It has been working fine for years since I built a 2.4L engine. Over the last couple of weeks (with very little driving) it has developed (or revealed) this problem. A few times toward the end of a cranking period, when the car would normally start, it would make a strange grinding noise and quit spinning over. If I held the key on, the starter would continue to free spin, but not spin the engine.

Now the starter will intermittently grab at the flywheel, turn it a few teeth, grind and free spin.

All starter teeth and flywheel teeth are present and in good(ish) condition. The flywheel now has some light shinny spots on the edge of the teeth where the starter teeth have impacted, but no real damage.

The engine spins over by hand with no abnormal resistance.

Crank end play is .005"

Clutch is ACT2600.

Tranny is securely bolted to block and is flush.

Flywheel is a RRE lightened stock unit.

Starter tests fine and does not seem to be weak in either its spinning or plunging of the gear.

Thoughts?

I have not pulled the trans yet in case there is something that I need to check prior to pulling it.

MuffinMan7580

The bendix is bad in your starter. My old 1g used to do this same thing. You can try checking all the connection going from your battery to your starter, and checking your grounds, but it's most likely the starter itself.

turboflanagan

That is what I am hoping, but it does not seem weak when tested out of the car. I don't have another in hand (yet) to compare with.

Looking for one now.

MuffinMan7580

The bendix is the part that makes the pinion gear come out further, so your starter motor will test good all day long. It's kind of like saying you think your clutch is slipping, but your engine makes plenty of power, it still doesn't do you any good to make that power because it's not getting transferred to where it needs to go.

Specter

I think hes probably right. Did you check the bolts? Are the lining up properly? The bolts might have some weak threads causing the starter not to sit in its right position and therefore not engage properly. Also check the housing, are there any cracks near the bolts causing it not to sit flush with the gear box. If everything checks out visibly, then its your starter and you would need to open it up.

Wait if you can, for others to comment.

AnotherNewb

Quoting MuffinMan7580:
The bendix is bad in your starter.

Bendix is a brand, its a flywheel engagment gear...

Name brand association is destroying small business.

Sorry, just got done watching Clerks the Animated series...

3diamonds

I'm having this same issue with the same engine and have used a OEM starter and tried a after market starter both brand new with no results.
All bolts are in! flywheel is fine even put a new OEM ring gear on it.
The car has started fine for 10 years and now I can't figure the problem.
Have had mechanics look at it and they can't give me a answer.
Any thoughts?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts