The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

But, HID's are cool!

turbowop

Awesome! Now I can refer back to this whenever some douche tries to tell me his HID bulbs in his reflector headlights work better than the factory halogens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

mikus

Overall agreed, but let's not go bash marketing and then drop this sort of rhetoric.Quote:
It's tricky to judge headlamp beam performance without a lot of knowledge, a lot of training and a lot of special equipment

img.php

DR1665

Quoting turbowop:
Where are all the HID guys with their rebuttle?

buttle - to work or serve as a butler.
rebuttle - to return to service as a butler after a short-lived stint at internet superiority.

A) Stern's site is old news. It's legit, but it's old news.
B) His references date to 2002, meaning there have been nearly 10 years for the aftermarket to develop proper bulbs.
C) He's attempting to hyperlink copyrighted material, now outlawed by the United States government. Criminals cannot be trusted.
D) I figure the OEM headlights don't put light down for sh*t anyway, so what's the harm in putting down brighter light for sh*t?
E) F.U.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

turbowop

Quoting DR1665:
D) I figure the OEM headlights don't put light down for sh*t anyway, so what's the harm in putting down brighter light for sh*t?

You can't be serious. The stock GVR4 headlights are amazing at light output, especially with the high beams on.

And the aftermarket hasn't developed any HID bulb that works properly for our reflector housings, so point B is moot.

None of this changes the fact that halogens are better in our factory housings. They may not look as bright head on, or 2ft in front of the car, but they output much more light at distance, which is where it's most needed. Want moar light directly in front of you? Turn on the factory foglights. duh

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Last edited:

IncorpoRatedX

I still run HID's in my silver galant with 93 housings and have not had a problem with anyone complaining of too bright or scattered light. They're brighter than the halogens and it's due to the lens on the light being good for HID, not the reflector, the reflector is "ok" in these housings.

it's running 35 watt, 5000 kelvin HID bulbs and ballasts, no retrofit kit. I work for a lighting company for a living, I can tell you that while the reflector is not DESIGNED for an HID and isnt THE MOST efficient reflector for the HID, it's still perfectly fine to use. We see retrofits on a regular basis that would poke a lot of holes in this article (ie: metal halide, high pressure sodium, mercury vapor retrofitted to magnetic induction or LED and still putting out adequate lighting) If you'd like me to bust out my foot candle meter and show realistic readings, I could.

While the article is very lengthy and has a lot of real information, it exaggerates a lot of things and makes them into problems that sound like sh*t wont work. When really the information would apply a lot more to the kind of people that put 55 watt or more, 6000 kelvin or higher lights in their stock housings with fluted lenses. Those people will never read an article like this, they're idiots.

When you put a 35 watt, 5000 kelvin HID bulb in the stock 93 housing, you're basically putting in a slightly brighter bulb, with a slightly larger source of light, however it's not enough to distort the lighting. It is however the case on MANY other housings.

Call me a ricer but I'm willing to bet half of you motherfuckers don't even understand how light works. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Barnes

Yes, because people driving the opposite way at 75mph on a four lane road at night with a concrete divider between you and them have time to identify what car you are driving, who you are, and lodge a complaint. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

IncorpoRatedX

i live in an area where I see people I know and cross paths with them very regularly, I've made it a point to ask others about the lights in the car, if they were offensive to oncoming traffic, I would not use them. My friend uses modified high beams in his galant's low beam and has far more glare than I could with HID's and you can see the only difference in the two bulbs in the end of it.

9005___9006_Halogen_Bulb.jpg

Also... we hardly have any concrete divided highways or 75 mph roads here... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

thedsmguy

How about this, Would it be possible to only run HID's in your bright lights? That way if you diligent about turning your brights off and on when other are near. Or, is the reaction time simply to slow for hid's to be switched quickly?

IncorpoRatedX

HID's arent really instant on / instant off, they warm up so you could do it, but expect a delay in the brightness when you turn the brights on. Cycling them frequently also diminishes their life.

Barnes

Quoting Alpha Male:
Also... we hardly have any concrete divided highways or 75 mph roads here... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Good point, because driving across 100ft of grassy median and flipping a u-turn is completely doable without the concrete median.

I just can't stand the argument that "people don't complain". Perhaps your HID's are not bad, I don't know. However the idea that people are not blinded by these just because you don't hear it is insane. GSX_TC made the same argument. Any time I drive to the Seattle metro area with my friend we are constantly enraged by how many crappy HID kits people have in their cars that blind the hell out of everyone. We would complain if it were remotely possible to find the offenders.

So much for not trolling myself.

turbowop

I don't even care about oncoming drivers with HID's that much. I just think it's stupid to replace perfectly good working halogens with bulbs that don't work as well.

RedTwo

I find at night I have to drive with one hand on the wheel and one shielding my eyes - granted it would shield my eyes better if I wasn't flipping the bird /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Scientist

I have OEM reflector housing HIDs and have noticed what they have done in comparison to the non HID outlander housings. the difference in light is immense. On my VR4 i have chosen to retrofit a Bixenon projector into the housing seeing as some of the reflector material has faded away. I also plan on converting my high beams into 3000K fogs and do low and high beam from the bixenon projector in my low beam.

Im getting my stuff from the retrofit source though

I've seen reflector housing HID kits without massive glare on the low beams but these bulbs came shielded to prevent light reflecting off the lower reflector surface

DR1665

Quoting turbowop:

You can't be serious. The stock GVR4 headlights are amazing at light output, especially with the high beams on.

Barring independently verified data, this is pure opinion; on par with those who say HIDs put out more light. It is a logical fallacy to argue the opinions of others are false based on your own opinions.

Quoting turbowop:

And the aftermarket hasn't developed any HID bulb that works properly for our reflector housings, so point B is moot.

I would be very interested to know when you became sufficiently versed in aftermarket HID bulb technology and product offerings to make such a claim. Besides, the fluted glass lens plays more of a role in beam pattern and projection than the relatively simple reflectors in the OEM housings anyway.

Quoting turbowop:

None of this changes the fact that halogens are better in our factory housings. They may not look as bright head on, or 2ft in front of the car, but they output much more light at distance, which is where it's most needed.

Again, your argument is just as subjective as those who think the opposite. In the absence of data, your claims of halogens being better or brighter or producing optimal patterns for driving are based entirely on personal preference and hold no water.

Quoting turbowop:

Want moar light directly in front of you? Turn on the factory foglights. duh

That's the first intelligent thing you've had to say all week! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quoting turbowop:

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

You do know I'm just stirring the pot on this one, right? In all honesty, I could give a sh*t. People who hastily install shitty aftermarket projectors with total disregard for legitimate lighting performance or motoring courtesy piss me right the f*** off.

Scientist

Quoting tsitalon1:
Please document this process.. I am interested sir.

I'll be doing it on a 2008 Lancer first during the holidays, then will show them on my 93 headlights

turbowop

Quoting DR1665:
Quoting turbowop:

Barring independently verified data, this is pure opinion; on par with those who say HIDs put out more light. It is a logical fallacy to argue the opinions of others are false based on your own opinions.

Quoting turbowop:

I would be very interested to know when you became sufficiently versed in aftermarket HID bulb technology and product offerings to make such a claim. Besides, the fluted glass lens plays more of a role in beam pattern and projection than the relatively simple reflectors in the OEM housings anyway.

Quoting turbowop:

None of this changes the fact that halogens are better in our factory housings. They may not look as bright head on, or 2ft in front of the car, but they output much more light at distance, which is where it's most needed.

Again, your argument is just as subjective as those who think the opposite. In the absence of data, your claims of halogens being better or brighter or producing optimal patterns for driving are based entirely on personal preference and hold no water.

Quoting turbowop:

Want moar light directly in front of you? Turn on the factory foglights. duh

That's the first intelligent thing you've had to say all week! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quoting turbowop:

You do know I'm just stirring the pot on this one, right? In all honesty, I could give a sh*t. People who hastily install shitty aftermarket projectors with total disregard for legitimate lighting performance or motoring courtesy piss me right the f*** off.

Opinions are a funny thing. It's kind of hard to ignore them when an overwhelming majority agree on one. Much like the opinion that Valencia's exhaust looks like garbage, or that body kits on our cars are hideous. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Flat out, the factory halogens are awesome. That is my opinion after driving many other cars over the years with headlights that just don't compare.

I wanted to run this early 90's Accord off the road today when he passed me on the freeway. Those bright pieces of sh*t were in my rearview annoying me for miles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/madfawk.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts