The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

AC Pump Bracket Removal Question

Chad989of2000

I've got all the AC components removed from the car, save for the AC pump bracket. The bracket is actually bolted on to the intermediate driveshaft bracket, and takes up a good amount of space. I know I have to fill that space after removal with washers, but I was just wondering how many washers I should use and if anyone has done this recently?

Barnes

If you aren't planning on doing anything with your old AC bracket I recommend cutting off the ear that the stud passes through. Voila, exactly correct washer. I would becareful if you decide to use actual washers. Try to match the thickness of the bracket very carefully. The alignment is very important (IMO).

Terry Posten

I found that the intake/exhaust "spreader" washers from a 258 in-line 6 1980 AMC Eagle are exactly the same thickness as the AC bracket and work perfectly align the drivers side shaft. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That was a fun little tank, err, I mean car.

Chad989of2000

I was able to locate enough washers to match the thickness of the bracket. Without a micrometer, it's as close as I could get it. I totally agree with the alignment concern...that's why I got it as close as humanly possible. Thanks fellas.

Chad989of2000

*Also that was one beefcake bracket.

If your not very happy with the washers you can always buy this part number from your local dealer mb297732 its an actual spacer Mitsubishi made for such a case

Chad989of2000

^Nice find. Depending on price I may get this, you know what with keeping it up to spec and all. It's easy enough to swap in with all that AC junk out of the way.

Adorsey

Using multiple washers in that spot is one of the most PITA things to do. imo. Although it works fine, they always fall off the bolt before it gets started.. Just a warning lol

FlyingEagle

Staff member
I have heard that using non-hardened washers can cause issues with permanent retention of the intermediate shaft mounting bolts.
This was anecdotal evidence from members on various sites, but could stand to reason that proper parts = proper function - permanently.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting Adorsey:
Using multiple washers in that spot is one of the most PITA things to do. imo. Although it works fine, they always fall off the bolt before it gets started.. Just a warning lol

JB Weld them together.

gramkrakr89

How heavy would you say the bracket is? - When I deleted my AC, I just left it in, telling myself that it wasn't worth the trouble trying to find a replacement spacer, and that leaving it helped with block strength (which is bull, but I convinced myself, heh)

Terry Posten

Added block strength? No. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Weight, I would say it is 2-3 pounds.

Chad989of2000

Just ordered the spacer from Mitsu for right around $5.00. Also the bracket and bolts weighs 3.8 lbs. So removing that = race car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned