The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

EVO or VR-4?

Hi All,

I hope I am posting this in the correct area of the forum.

I currently just moved from Perth, Australia to the east coast Brisbane and in the market for a car.

Yesterday I was at a dealer and there was a Proton GTi that caught my eye. The car salesmen I was talking too said the engine in it is actually a 2LTR EVO engine yet I am some what skeptical that it may be out of a VR-4. I am very new to the Mitsubishi engines and a lot of the threads I have seen aren't exactly too clear on how to tell the difference.

The actual ad on the website says "2000, FWD, 3D HATCHBACK, 1834cc, 103kW, UNLEADED PETROL, 5 SP MANUAL, TURBO EVO ENGINE, Turbo, Turbo Timer, Intercooler, Airbag Driver, Anti-lock Braking, Air Conditioning, Adjustable Steering Wheel, Alloy Wheels, Body Kit, Central Locking, Fog Lights, Engine Immobiliser, Leather Steering Wheel, Power Steering, Power Windows, Radio CD with 6 Speakers, Rear Spoiler, Sport Seats, Sports Suspension"

So I am curious if it is a EVO engine or a VR-4 engine or a 1.8ltr out of a GSR.

I will post some pictures and if anyone is able to tell me what it is I would be very much appreciated!

VDI15.jpg

Displayed on the windscreen (Below)

aBI6l.jpg

Thanks alot in advance!

Christafari

fuel

That's a 6-bolt JDM 4G63 2.0 engine or cylinder head & inlet manifold at the very least. Can't be an Evo box if it's 2WD unless they've locked the center diff and removed xfer case.

Brunoboy

i think its a vr4, i thought Evolutions say ECI Multi Port instead of Cyclone on the intake manifold.

Thanks for the quick reply Fuel.

Glad it is a 2LTR all I have to do now is find out if its actually come from an EVO or VR-4 and check out the gearbox, hopefully they haven't just kept using the stock 4G93 box (If its even possible) from the stock engine.

Would you have any tips to look at to identify it more in person?

Thanks again!

Christafari

Brunoboy

Evo's didnt come in 6 bolt. if its a 6 bolt its a vr4...

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting christafari:
Thanks for the quick reply Fuel.

Glad it is a 2LTR all I have to do now is find out if its actually come from an EVO or VR-4 and check out the gearbox, hopefully they haven't just kept using the stock 4G93 box (If its even possible) from the stock engine.

Would you have any tips to look at to identify it more in person?

Thanks again!

Christafari

transmission code should be printed on the top of the bell housing just below where the thermostat housing sits, that should sum it up for you.

mikus

Quote:
Evolutions say ECI Multi Port instead of Cyclone on the intake manifold

This, plus exhaust runners look like early/vr4

fuel

I think he was asking if it were a Galant VR-4 engine or a Lancer Evol-3 engine, rather than normal Galant VR-4 vs Galant VR-4 Evolution. The Evo1-3 inlet manifold is completely different and from memory doesn't even have any badging at all.

gramkrakr89

and they even spelled "liter" wrong!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

fuel

^^^ uhh.. not you too...

Rausch

Also appears to have the custom broken bolt mod for the turbo.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts