The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

no 5th gear after clutch replacement, feel like an idiot

moneypit

Replaced the oem spec clutch that came with the car. Used ACT 2600 with street disc went in. I was surprised it was way easier than a dsm, thank goodness. Removed and welded the pedal assembly at the same time. I got it all back together and was unable to shift into 5th gear. I tried everything. Adjusted cables numerous times, bled clutch hydraulics countless times, tried everything short of pulling tranny again. I had to bite the bullet. After R&R of trans twice, i was at my wits end. Long story short, the 2mm thick gasket/ washer under the reverse switch was the issue. I had removed the reverse switch to prevent damaging it during original removal of trans. I did not see/ misplaced the washer and re-installed the switch. 2mm difference was enough to prevent shifting into 5th. I hope this helps. I don't want anyone to experience the same amount of grief i did /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif. Happy Holidays.

Barnes

This is VERY common, so don't feel bad. I've probably given people the info to correct this problem half a dozen times. Next time, ask here first. It would have been the very first thing I would have suggested to check. Better luck next time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4thStroke

When I welded up my center diff this summer, I had everything put back together, everything was fine, except for I forgot the washer and 5th and reverse were locked out. I almost ran out into the street with a blindfold after taking the time off work and all the fighting involved with the first time you do this. Luckily, I remembered this was a common issue just before I started to disassemble it again.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned