The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

just swapped motor, couple questions

omertaitalia

first question is about the vacuum lines for a mbc, i currently have my mbc on the j pipe then directly to the waste gate, then i ran the bov line to the intake manifold is this correct or should it have a t before the waste gate to connect everything all together?

second question, just swapped in a used motor, except now I replaced the 16g with a 14b, it has a keydiver stage3 chip and a afc , do i need to re-tune the afc or should it be fine if i run the same amount of boost?
thanks ahead

Terry Posten

You ran the vac lines just fine. It is always best to have separate vac sources for the BOV and WG.

Using a smaller turbo will be just fine. The ECU will compensate. You do not need to change the tune unless you go bigger because that will cause parameters too large for the ECU to handle without modifying the tune.

omertaitalia

ok I'm just making sure, finished everything up couple hours ago, got it started just haven't gotten the idle figured out, got dark as i started it for the first time, gonna mess with the biss screw tomorrow morning, if i turned down the boost would i need a retune?

Terry Posten

Nope, all boost will do is vary the input the MAS seeing and translates into the ECU. If you go less boost, the input is less and the ECU will know exactly what to do. If you go higher boost, more air input means the ECU could possibly see too much and default to max fuel. Which may not be enought.

As long as you don't change your injectors or fuel pressure, your fine.

transparentdsm

yeah omerta!!! way to get yours running again!! i have to pull the oil pan off mine this week and hope that i can do some fast bearing replacement and fix mine...

omertaitalia

ya it took me long enough, was gonna put the galants motor in the van but after a hour of trying to pull that axle out i gave up and just started bolting her up again, hopefully i can get this idle figured out right now

omertaitalia

cannot get car to idle, it'll start but if i let off the gas it just dies, I've been f***ing with it for 2 hours, searched everywhere, my lack of knowledge and tools are making this sh*t frustrating, anyone ever had a similar problem?
edit: could the problem be my coolant temp sensor not being hooked up?

Last edited:

No coolant temp will cause issues. Do you have any kind of data logging tools?

omertaitalia

i have a palm setup but it turned off and i lost mmcd program,can't seem to to reinstall it because i can't connect it to my computer, need to buy that cable, you don't have a picture of how that wiring goes do you, mine were all brittle and are now broken and in pieces

I dont but having the palm will at least tell you what the CTS is reading when you get it hooked up.

transparentdsm

ugh i wish i was there to help you... is all of your isc and tps plugged in. and biss all the way out and take the two 10mm bolts on the intake manifold and pull the throttle cable till it is tight and adjust it from a high idle down to 800 rpms.

Last edited:

omertaitalia

everything on the intake manifold and throttle body is plugged in, these wires just got brittle from the heat and fell apart, dude before me was only running two of the sensors i believe.

omertaitalia

connected the engine coolant temp sensor (green with black stripe,yellow with green stripe), start car and it sits a 2k rpm then just dies?
just ordered a cable so i can get my palm back up and running for a log.

Last edited:

Terry Posten

How long does it run before stalling?

Terry Posten

Well it is not the fuel pump shuting off because it would only run for about 3 seconds and stall.

Can you keep it running by staying in the gas?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned