The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Any ideas? Rear wheel bearing.

donkeylips

DSC02490.jpg

Slide hammer - nothing.
Socket and deadblow from backside - nothing.
Sawzall - nothing. Can't get started, too hard.
Dremel/cut-off wheel - would work, but can't get it in there.

I really don't want to take off the trailing arm what with the eccentric bolts and everything.
I hate you guys that live in California.

donkeylips

I think I'm going to start attempting the trailing arm removal. I do have a spare, but...oh boy.

LILEVO

Damn that sucks. That bearing has always came out with the hub stub for me. Did you pound out the smaller bearing already? Use a mapp torch to heat that thing up good and pound it out from the inside /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Otherwise a brand new sawzall blade has always got me through bearings.

SouthCaliVR4

Holy rusted metal Batman!!!! I'd be looking to replace that. along with anything else under there that looks like that. You need to stop spending money on anything other than rust repair or soon your car will be scrap.

donkeylips

That's why I own 3 Galants. This is the winter beater. But it's just a little bit too beat.

DSC02492.jpg

DSC02495.jpg

The inner bearing is out in the pic from my first post. What you may be seeing in there is the ABS ring.
Getting the inner race out was supposed to allow me to cut the outer race with the dremel. So far I've only managed to get a couple of pie-shaped wedges out. It's rust-welded in there good. Not sure if I'll ever get it.

donkeylips

Looks like 108/1000 will be JSB for another week.

donkeylips

My air hammer chisels are too soft. They're getting all chewed up. What it's leaving behind kind of looks like solder.

donkeylips

Well I'm a quitter. I just bought a complete rear subframe/suspension from a guy with a 1g that hit a deer. It's almost rust-free and already 5-lug with good bearings.

Thirsty

Gee, I feel for you poor blokes with the salt on the roads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif
I was complaining my subframe was dirty but it is mint compared to those pics. Come live in Australia...LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif
Ross

donkeylips

100_1226.jpg

No wonder my 4WS didn't work! I'm shocked!
This picture actually makes the old rear subframe look good though.
100_1224.jpg

After POR15 and liberal use of anti-seize. Decided to use the lower mileage 3-bolt rear diff from a '91 Talon.
100_1240.jpg

Back on the streets in no time:
100_1254.jpg

Last edited:

IncorpoRatedX

holy crap...

on a side note, have you posted pics of the blue car yet??

I'm cleaning mine up too! Im just wire wheeling off the surface rust and hitting it with rustoleum though

donkeylips

Quoting Alpha Male:
holy crap...

on a side note, have you posted pics of the blue car yet??

Not yet! The car is covered up in indoor storage about 3 hours away. The car was really dirty in the couple of crappy pictures I have. I'm thinking about selling it to get a straighter, and equally rust-free Galant.
You can see why I really value rust-free cars...

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned