The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How much offset front to back on wheels

thedsmguy

Ok, so we all know that Evo wheels stick out a touch in the front. My idea is to stagger the wheels with offset only. Has anyone ever measured how much difference there is from front to back? I like how my 17x8's rotas fit in the front but they tuck in the back, if I could get the same style wheel but with a deeper offset (more dish) it would fill the fenders the same and very likely great while doing it.

So, to recap. 17x8" all around, exact same size tires, just different offsets. Say maybe a 17x8 with a 40 offset in the front and a 20 offset in the back? That might be to much for the back but that is the question I'm asking, has anyone tried to measure?

Does anyone know offhand what the factor evo wheel offset is?

Thanks.

thedsmguy

So, it looks like factory evo is 17x8 with 38 offset. So, maybe 20 would be a touch to much "hellaflush" hmmm.. Maybe more like a 35 in rear? and 45 in front?

Brunoboy

use a spacer and extended lugs. i live in the state with the most HellaFlush people. Too many of my friends are Magazine cars and mess with offset and rims all day.

thedsmguy

That is the thing, I'm not looking to only stick the back wheels out a bit, I'd like a little more lip on the back for looks as well. I know I couldn't rotate tires but I don't mind that.

And believe me, HellaFrush is not what I'm really going for here.

Last edited:

Brunoboy

I know your not going for HF but more of a cleaner looking set up. Offset isnt everything. It also depends on the size of the rim and what type of rim.
-Shane

Brunoboy

how much clearance do you have in the rear from rim to rear fender using the Evo wheels?

fuel

why such narrow rims? if buying new rims, you may as well get the widest you can fit. Why not stagger the width as well as the offset? say 17x8 +35 to 40 in the front and 17x8.5 +30 to 35 in the rear - or even just the same offsets but different widths.

4Grim

To solve this issue when i put on the evo wheels on, i used 10mm spacers on the back wheels to "even" the look of the fronts. I could snap a pic for you later on today if you want. I didnt have to use extended studs either.

kartorium

^same, I do it partially just to make mine fit though.

I run a 5mm spacer in the rear of my car with 8.5" @ +48 all around. Effectively a 43mm in back and 48 up front. I think what you want to do is run something more like a 40mm effective offset in the front, and run a 35mm or so in the rear. I think doing a 10mm difference would give you similar results depending on your camber settings front and rear. With a 5mm difference you can still make it look good and flush and even front to back after dialing in some camber up front.

Honestly though, with an 8" wheel @ 35 or 38, I don't think you need to stagger offset. You need to just run a more specific alignment. In this case, the alignment specs that make your car look good are also going to make it handle well. Win Win.

citymunky

I had the same problem with my old Gram Lights, I was just going to throw a 5mm spacer on the rears.

Quoting brunoboy:
use a spacer and extended lugs. i live in the state with the most HellaFlush people. Too many of my friends are Magazine cars and mess with offset and rims all day.

HellaFlush people /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

turbowop

Like Karter said, just run moar camber in the front to get them to tuck. Works awesome on 1051 and helps handling to boot. My front and rear look tucked evenly.

kartorium

As another point, with a 5mm spacer you most likely won't need new longer studs. Obviously every wheel is going to be different so you can't take that as true 100% of the time, but for most it should apply. I'm not sure about 10mm.

On my particular setup, to run a 5mm spacer in the front, I would need longer studs. (rota slipstream with Wilwood brakes) I'm not sure why you'd want to run a spacer in the front, but I thought I'd add that just for future reference and search results.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned