The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

good benefits of 2g exhaust manif tapped for egt? evo3 mani?

oldman_tau

what are the benefits of having 2g ex manifold with tial 38 and tapped for egt?

having with egt, is this originally off an evo3?

Last edited:

citymunky

Less prone to cracking vs the 1g manifold
External WG's are better the internal. (the only con of external WG's are cost and fab work if needed)
Less work for you if you want a EGT. No need to worry about metal shavings being suck into the turbo.

No a EVO3 manifold is not the same as a 2g manifold.

CutlassJim

Tell me why external wastegates are better than internal. I bet you can't. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rausch

Because they are shinier? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/keke.gif

citymunky

Quoting CutlassJim:
Tell me why external wastegates are better than internal. I bet you can't. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Plain and simple external wastegates can regulated boost levels more precisely than internal wastegates in high power setups but than again I'm a fan of EBC's.

CutlassJim

I guess I should rephrase that. Tell me HOW externals are better than internals. I don't want the "plain and simple" answer. I want the answer that leaves me no argument to the contrary. Do it.

LIV4PSI

Im not sure if you guys are being serious or not, but here is an awesome explantion.

click

beaner

I like having an external because I don't have to 'trick' the setup with a boost controller. I just swap the spring and that's it. Boost is rock solid, no spike, no creep, no bullshit.

I wouldnt say one is better than the other, it just depends on the application and how much exhaust you have to bypass. I imagine an internal probably wouldn't work well on Hondas running t67s at 6psi revving to the moon unless the flapper was huge.

Quoting LIV4PSI:
Im not sure if you guys are being serious or not, but here is an awesome explantion.

click

At 1:35 in this video, the gentleman says "Now, it's important to mention that the wastegate needs to receive this boost signal from either the compressor housing or the intercooler piping, because receiving a vacuum signal from the intake manifold can cause _________." I can't understand that last word. Can anybody help me here? Or can someone shed more light on this subject?

Sorry for the thread jack.

Diego

Last word was, drama, or damage... or something garggled starting with a D

citymunky

1)You can chose the port size you want (35mm, 38mm, 40mm, 42mm, 44mm, 46mm, 50mm, 60 mm+...). In my case 40mm
2)You can chose the boost level by swapping out spring/s. I have a 1 Bar (14.7), yea you change a internal wastegate actuator, but they cost way more.
3)You can chose to recirculate exhaust gases back into the exhaust system or use Open Dump/s little power gain.
4)You can install it almost anywhere before the turbo you want. But this = fab work.
5)EBC's work better with the 2 ports.

Internal wastegates for the most part, have very small flapper door sizes of anywhere from 25mm to 30mm. On high HP, high boost cars that will = boost creep.

Last edited:

cheekychimp

You can get twin port actuators. I admit flappers are maybe not as well engineered as diaphragms but I really am not convinced that a twin port actuator cannot work as well. In fact after I asked questions regarding the way external wastegates were hooked up it became fairly evident that only about half the users make proper use of the twin port system which is supposed to equalize pressures to regulate boost without the spring having to do much work.

citymunky

Because most people here use a MBC's. Having the ability to control your boost from the driver's seat is worth the extra coin to me. With my HKS EVC VI I could change my boost level while driving. Oppose to having to pull over--> pop the hood--> adjust the MBC and hope I set it where I want the boost level to be --> start driving again.

CutlassJim

Quoting LIV4PSI:

click

Perfect video explaining everything. I just wanted to make sure that people are understanding when and why it's needed to make the jump to an external gate and the pro's and con's involved not just because Tooners tells you it's better and every monkey you see on the net has a tubular exhaust manifold and external gate on their 16G. I've seen GN guys make 600WHP on huge turbo's with HUGE internal gates.

citymunky

I'm not from the tuners world, I only visit that site for the marketplace.

Last edited:

turbowop

Quoting citymunky:
Because most people here use a MBC's. Having the ability to control your boost from the driver's seat is worth the extra coin to me. With my HKS EVC VI I could change my boost level while driving. Oppose to having to pull over--> pop the hood--> adjust the MBC and hope I set it where I want the boost level to be --> start driving again.

I've never understood the want to change boost on the fly. I set my cars up for a specific boost level based on the car's setup and leave it. On 503 I run about 18psi and on 1051 I use a two stage Turboxs MBC. Low boost (22psi) for 92 octane and hi boost (30psi) comes on when I turn on the methanol injection setup. I haven't changed boost levels on that car in like six years.

beaner

Quoting citymunky:
On high HP, high boost cars that will = boost creep.

I think you got it kinda backwards. Some high boost cars don't even have a wastegate or leave it unhooked. Bigger != better.

edit: what wop said.

Last edited:

citymunky

Quoting turbowop:

I've never understood the want to change boost on the fly. I set my cars up for a specific boost level based on the car's setup and leave it. On 503 I run about 18psi and on 1051 I use a two stage Turboxs MBC. Low boost (22psi) for 92 octane and hi boost (30psi) comes on when I turn on the methanol injection setup. I haven't changed boost levels on that car in like six years.

RWD Twin Turbo car in surprise rain storm = good reason.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts