The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Auto to manual Frankenstein, no reverse lights help!

Ok, I have been a bit determined not to ask for help on this, I've searched everywhere and no answers.

I've changed a sohc crap of the crap (actualy not bad cars but too boring for me) galant to dohc manual. The dam engine was from a rally car and being NZDM had different connectors on it than any harness I could get, the closest was from a JDM auto so I used/modded it. Car goes great but I can't figure out how to get the reverse lights to work.

All the auto connectors are there. Today I connected a wire to the positive battery terminal, aswell as an electrical testor's positive lead and with the negative lead from the testor tried every pin on every connector that was meant to go to the auto. The ones that didn't have any voltage I tried connecting the positive lead to, then I would take a look and see if the reverse lights would work. None of them worked.

Did I go about finding the right wires all the wrong way? or does the TCU need to be connected and in the car (even though it's now manual) to continue the circut to the back of the car?

I'm not an oaf and I have spent quite some time looking at wiring diagrams but I'm not quite sure.

Any help even good guesses are welcomed.

The car in question

Last edited by a moderator:

89Mirageman

You need a wiring manual, locate the two needed wires and attach them to the reverse sensor on the top of the manual transmission.

Quote:
You need a wiring manual

I have one, I can't make much sense of it though. I also know I have to attach it to the reverse sensor on the trans, I just can't find the wire that powers the reverse lights. The reverse sensor looks to be a simple on/off switch, so I assume positive current passes through it to the rear and then throws the relay for the reverse lights.

Is it as simple as finding the correct wire? or is there more to it than that with an auto harness?

Do I need to 'bridge the gap' between connectors where my TCU should be? or does that not play a role? I ask because from memory on a 2g the reverse sensor has to be wired to a pin on a connector where the tcu would have been under the console.

you could also use the reverse switch with a relay 4 prong you can get this at an auto parts store and ground the relay using the switch to do so and just make a simple harness that runs to your reverse lights and wire them into your harness you have made. Using the switch to ground will be easy just check the wire at the sensor for continuety when put in reverse and use that to ground the relay to complete the circuit. just fuse the 12v source voltage to the relay.

gramkrakr89

not sure if NZDM will have same pinouts for things, but it seems that for a DSM, applying 12V to pin 11 on the automatic gear selector harness will light the reverse lights - hope this helps, sry if it's useless /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned