The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Possible bent valve??

I dont usually post with problems but this one has me stumped. I just finished up with 272 cam and SMIM install. Timing belt is dead on, I double checked. I got spark and fuel but the engine runs like it is wayyy out of time. I had to dial in 50* of cranking advance on MS to get it to fire up. The only thing I can think of is that when i was first installing the cams I bolted the intake cam in upside down with the motor at TDC. (I dont know where my head was) I noticed it right away and corrected it. I didnt roll the motor over at all either. Im gonna run a compression test tomorrow when i get my tester back.

My question is, Any chance I bent a valve? Also, anyone have any other ideas? Got fuel, got spark, timing is on, CAS is right, running MS2 with SD.

thedsmguy

Extreme intake leak? I once bought a car from a guy who had put a stock intake back on his car and left a washer in one of the lower bolts to the manifold, he couldn't see that it was leaking and thought the car was completely broke. A boost leak test pointed it out right away.

Speed density setup. I sprayed some solvent around and nothing changed anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

4thStroke

Did you try shutting off one cylinder (pull a plug cap or unclip the injector) while it was running to see when the idle would or would not change?

I'm not sure that a bent valve would call for more timing.

Call me tomorrow some time after 6:00pm.

Its just cranking timing adv so it can get started. It was running driving car before I took it apart. Also I am getting fuel and spark on all cylinders

Ill be in a class from 5-9.

Im an idiot. Timing belt was half a tooth off. I was looking at the crank marks from a bad angle I guess. First time I screwed that up. I re-timed it and that brought up another question..

Why is it that when I turn the engine over 6 times counter-clockwise it ends up half a tooth off, but when I turn it over clockwise like the engine actually turns, its dead on? VFAQ says to turn it CCW. Whats the deal here? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

donniekak

Don't ever turn the engine over backwards. It puts the slack on the side of the belt without a tensioner, and can jump time.

turbowop

You shouldn't rotate the motor counterclockwise with the timing belt on. It is meant to only run clockwise. I'm pretty sure the vfaq only mentions spinning a couple things CCW to line things up or the exhaust cam moving CCW a couple degrees when the belt is removed, but otherwise, with the belt on, only turn the motor over clockwise. Spinning it clockwise allows the tensioner to work properly. *edit* Donnie beat me to it.

And it's not really possible to be a half tooth off, since we don't have half teeth on the belt or sprockets. You're either a full tooth off, or not off at all.

Last edited:

grocery_getter

There is only 1 mention where it says spin 1/4 turn CCW then 6 turns CW. Where did you see the vfaq mention 6 turn CCW?

I take the previous statement back. You guys are right. My fault for not reading correctly. ADD is a mofo for me. Its a surprise I've made it this far... Dang.

I thought that is what weird it would say that. Didnt make sense. Good thing I asked.

Ok guys, I took a break for awhile and got back to it. Compression is good, 160-165 across the board. I even went as far as to put the stock cams back in. No change still. When it idles (when I can get it to) its really rough and low vacuum under 10in. Again, I have fuel and spark on all 4. Im really starting to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif on this one. Any and all ideas are welcome.

TRBODSM

I know this is stupid and I've done it before that's why I am bringing it up on this. Are the spark plug wires Hooked up in the right firing order. Seems like two are switched out causing the car to run/idle like sh*t but still start.

4thStroke

I'm still a bit skeptical about the cam timing. Give me a call tomorrow, I might be able to stop by, I have tomorrow off.

Wizardawd

When you remove the timing belt, did you remove the crank sprocket and the shutter plate?

If you did, take it apart again and make sure that the plate was not installed backwards. Seen it a lot before.

Wiz

4thStroke

Wiz makes a good point. I saw that happen a couple times on customer motors when I had to tear them down for rebuilds.

Have you had the chance to get Trav over there and look at it?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts