The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need Help Figuring Out My Engine Harness . . .

Hey Guys, I will do a more formal intro soon with details on the car etc. I am very close to firing this car up but have come across a little road block. The setup I'm running is Ostrich on speed density. So as I'm trying to wire up the harness for MAP and IAT to the factory MAF plug I notice that my MAF plug is a 6 wire, like an NA car would be. But the engine harness also has knock sensor wiring which I thought was only for turbo models?

When I bought the car I got a 450whp drivetrain setup that needed to be mated to #621, a car that was recently parted out to roller status by a member of this board. So basically I'm trying to put the puzzle back together. Gone pretty smoothly up until this point. How can I know what harness is in my car?

broxma

Do you know which wires on the 8 pin (7 wire???, I only count 7 on the schematic) turbo connector you need to tap into? I can do the conversion to the NT 6 wire connector but I'd need to know which ones you normally would tap to.

/brox

Yes the factory turbo maf should have 7 wires (in an 8 pin connector).

Here is a link for the wiring that should happen: click

My assumption is that the ECU i have is a turbo ecu. Its socketed eprom. So if it is a NA harness is the pinout for the ecu connectors even the same? I wouldnt think so . . .

Did any NA 1g's come with a knock sensor?

broxma

For the AIT sensor, Pins 6 and 8 correspond to pins 4 and 6 on the 6 pin connector. Same locations roughly, bottom, at either end.
Pin 6 is just the +5 volt so it's shared with the MAP sensor.

Pin 4 becomes pin 3 and pin 7 becomes pin 5. Essentially, the 7 pin connector has an extra wire which honestly, looks like it goes to nothing. It is the wire above the blank pin on the connector. If you remove that wire, and the blank pin spot from the 8 pin connector, you would have the working model of the 6 pin connector. The 6 pin is wired exactly like the 8 pin, minus the #1 wire position and the blank spot.

Hope that helps

/brox

thanks that definitely helps. Do you think you could give me the wire colors for these pins on the 6 wire connector just for my peace of mind?

any idea on the knock sensor?

broxma

On the six pin,

Pin1 - Green Blue
Pin2 - I think it's red. Should be an odd size wire.
Pin3 - Green Red
Pin4 - Green Black
Pin5 - Green Yellow
Pin6 - Green Orange

As for the knock sensor. All I know is it should be a two wire (Black/White and white wires) with the white wire connected to Pin 9 on the ECU. The other wire is shared with the O2 sensor, probably ground. The NT diagram does not show a knock sensor at that pin. If you in fact have an NT harness, you can add the wire by swapping a pin to pin 9 on the ECU, and running a new ground to the O@ ground at ground point #7, passenger kick panel. Check the back of the block and see if the motor has a knock sensor to begin with, and if it is connected. It sits, middle, under the bottom of the intake manifold. If you need a knock sensor harness side plug, let me know and I'll go cut one from a junker at the yard.

/brox

Thanks for the help!

So is the factory galant vr4 MAF a 6pin or 8pin connector?

Ok so I really need to figure out what harness is in the car. The 6pin MAF connector in my vr4 has the following wires: blue/black stripe, green/black stripe, blue/red stripe, black/red stripe, black, blue/yellow stripe.

Any ideas?

Ok after digging in further, the 6pin connector (while exactly the same as a NA MAF connector) is not the MAF connector. Someone has done a number on the harness for this car. Back at the firewall I found a couple of connectors taped out of the way. One of which was for the 8pin MAF but the connector has been hacked off just bare wires. If you go into the passenger floor at the ECU connector, they tapped into the MAF wires there. In fact the larger 24 pin connector to the ecu has been spliced into the harness, like it was cut off at one point. So tonight I spent some time cleaning up/straightening out all that mess.

So the good news is that it is probably the stock VR4 harness in the car. The bad news is that its been decently hacked and needs some time.

Can someone direct me to a detailed wiring diagram for the VR4?

Ok so I found the diagrams in the library as well as the ones just linked above. Can someone tell me, are all 1G talons/eclipses/GVR4 harnesses exactly identical? Across all years and down to the wire colors?

mikus

if you're going to SD and the MAF wires are already cut, why not just hardwire it in? Good chance that's why the MAF harness was originally cut out.

I'm all for keeping stock in place, but if it's already gone a hardwire would be cleaner. Some ECU to IAT & MAP hardwire info is here

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned