The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

6 puck or 4 puck clutch

WaRrIoRs16

I'm looking into which clutch disk to buy for 796. I'm between an ACT 6puck sprung and an ACT 4puck sprung. The 6puck sprung is $20 more expensive so price isn't a factor. I will be mating it up with a ACT 2600 PP and a Fidanza aluminum flywheel all on a stock tranny, trying to get everything out of the tranny before it gets rebuilt. I'm going to be hopefully in the 450hp range with an hx35 setup and going to the track occasionally, but mostly it will see just "spirited" street driving. The car will split daily driving time with 628.

My street disk is slipping at 26psi on my 16g, so I doubt it will do the trick with the hx35 at 30psi. Thanks

thecman02

I'd go with the 6-puck. It is only slightly more aggressive, but will hold quite a bit more.

WaRrIoRs16

Alright, that's what I was leaning towards. I just don't want to get a into a situation where the disk can't hold up, or a situation where I don't every want to drive my car on the street because of how terribly uncomfortable the clutch is, hence the springs.

Barnes

Now that my clutchnet 6-puck sprung is broken in, I really like it. If you want to see how it drives let me know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

WaRrIoRs16

I might have to take you up on that next week some time.

BrandonEchols

Quoting thecman02:
I'd go with the 6-puck. It is only slightly more aggressive, but will hold quite a bit more.

Wait...Am I confused or is this backwards?
I've always heard that:

4-puck: Harsh engagement (it's on or it's off essentially - there's almost no slipping it), wants to launch the car every time you take off but holds more power than a 6-puck.

6-puck: Smoother engagement than a 4-puck, but doesn't hold as much power.

I guess it could just be explained as:
Fewer pucks = harsher engagement & better grip.
More pucks = smoother engagement & less grip

Is that not accurate?

Last edited:

Brunoboy

6 puck has better heat dissipation......

PreskitVR4

6 puck will last longer in our heavy cars. i had my solid hub 4 puck in the gay for a short while, logevity left something to be desired. it has to do with the fore-mentioned heat dissapation. the extra material reduces the clamp load, thus increasing drivability.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts