The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo X shocks and strut's?

rdomeck

Seems like the rears already have the correct lower mount from some pictures that I have seen! Front's look close too! Any body thought about this. I did do a search and didn't see anything that would apply. I run a fabrication business so a little modifying doesn't bother me! Seems like there are some that modify the Evo 8's, but if the Evo X's have the correct type of mount why not use them?

I have been thru the engine and I just finished repainted, so now it's time to redo the suspension!

dammitjim

click

Can you explain why you put an apostrophe in struts and fronts but not shocks and rears? I don't get it and want to understand.

Last edited:

rdomeck

Why can I never get anything to pop up in my search on this site? It brings up a bunch of stuff that doesn't have anything to do with what I am searching for......

That's good to know! I don't mind spending some money on shocks and strut's but it seems like I'm either spending a $1000 on BC's or some other brand that (I'm sorry) I just don't trust or I'm buying Ohlins for $3500! I would like some Bilsteins or Koni's. My contact at Koni says that when Mitsu switched to an inverted tube design they stopped making them because they were too costly. I will not do anything made by KYB. Seems like I buy cars that you can't buy performance shocks for anymore. It took me 6 months to track down a set of Koni's for my first gen CRX about 3 years ago.

Bilsteins are my first choice. I may get a set of Evo X rears and Evo 8 fronts!!!!

If IIRC, the evo x rears are about 2" taller installed height than the evo 8/9 rears.

turbofonz

Evo shocks are from KYB, IIRC so you're SOL

turbowop

Quoting dammitjim:

Can you explain why you put an apostrophe in struts and fronts but not shocks and rears? I don't get it and want to understand.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Selective unneeded apostrophe use? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsdunno.gif

Last edited:

rdomeck

Quoting dammitjim:
click

I'm really tired after completely painting my car this weekend! I'll try my best to make sure it doesn't happen again!!!!!

Whoodoo

I don't know why you hate KYB's because the X fronts that I have on 62 are perfect.

As stated before, the rears from the X are taller, so you are stuck with the 8/9's. The X fronts are slightly taller than the 8/9 and have a different spring design. I am extremely happy with how my setup came out.

If you don't want KYB's, then look for the Bilsteins that came on the MR models.

Yao

it would work, but need machine shop to bore out the eye.

rdomeck

Just bought a set of Ohlins. Should be here early next week!

rdomeck

click

And I will be in the dog house for a long time......She just doesn't understand why I needed to spend that on shocks! And I know that she never will.

turbowop

Jesus f***ing Christ. Ohlins? You will pretty much have the most baller coilovers on the board. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

cheekychimp

Is that picture supposed to be the actual coilovers you are getting? If so why do they come with the bushing built into the end of the shock instead of the fork that fits over the bushing on the EVO rear end?

Edit: I am just confused because that photo says EVO VII-IX. I know this thread was specifically about the EVO X struts. Did you order the EVO X specific ones?

Last edited:

rdomeck

That photo has the wrong end shown on it. I am getting the ones for the Evo 8/9. I will still have to swap out the lower mount on the rear shock, drill two holes for the up front mount and make a spacer were the strut bolt's to the spindle! I got a really good deal on them is why I decided to go this route. They still cost a lot of money, but I didn't like any of the other options out there. I guess I'm just too picky.

cheekychimp

No I actually think that was the best option!

I was wondering if you had chosen to go the EVO X set route thinking (quite logically) that even if the strut was longer that you could dial out the difference in height using the ride height adjustment. I just had concerns you wouldn't get enough adjustment doing that. When I ordered my Hotbits years back I got the rally specific struts. The shock body is about an inch to two inches longer than stock to give additional ride height (pretty much in the ball park of how much longer the EVO X front struts seem to be). When I got them on the car I decided I liked the look with the car dropped a little lower. There was plenty of adjustment at the back and I could get the car as low as I wanted but there wasn't enough adjustment at the front because of the additional shock height. It's a shame but given the state of the roads around here (the reason I opted for the rally shocks) I'm probably better off lifting it the extra inch or so. For yourself however whilst having to do the rear bushings is a bit of a pain, I think the end result in terms of adjustability will be much better.

Since you got a deal, I'm guessing you are happy. Personally if I was dropping that sort of money on a set of Ohlins, I would have contacted Ohlins direct, told them straight up what I was doing and asked if I could order a mixed set of EVO VII-IX fronts and EVO X rears. We probably ought to tell Ohlins that if they changed the width of the mounting ears, slotted the holes for the bolts on the VII-IX fronts and sold them as a set with the X rears they would have a Galant VR4 specific product /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

rdomeck

A little modifying. Took maybe an hour on my lathe and to drill the front strut tower. Maybe $80 in hardware! The only thing I don't like is that the adjustment for the fronts takes place from the bottom side were the rears are from the top. Haven't driven on them yet. Wanted to paint my wheels before the new tires went on. Hopefully finish that up this weekend!

rdomeck u live pretty close to me with the work your doin i think we need to become friends /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

curtis

There's a baller in the building. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

curtis

went looking on ebay and saw these if anyone wants something for the rear of theres.

cusco click me

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned