The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GGSX New Clutch, Clunk from Trans, slips but no clutch smell.

So basically my friend got a nice GGSX. All stock, OEM service it's whole life. Doctor owned.

The clutch slipped so he got a new GGSX clutch kit.

New rear main seal.

Surfaced the flywheel.

Reinstalled, drove and the car went great.

He calls me up next day and says "The car is slipping".

I go over there, we take a ride. It's slipping but no smell, at all. No smoke.

Adjust the clutch pedal looser (Did the Pedal Weld repair BTW) because we figure its pushing the clutch in, dragging it and not disengaging all the way.

It works for reverse, but then he put it in 1st and heard a big clunking bang from the trans.

We roll it into the garage.

While changing the slave cylinder, I turn the P/S wheel.

It catches, clunks then spins free with all the other wheels planted.

Did he break the Center or front diff? VC?

Can other W5 parts fit into the GGSX trans?

This very failure actually happened to 638/1000 and is what made me give up and sell it. I never bothered to find out what broke.

Now it happened to my buddies car, and I'm the one who convinced him to get it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

If that's the case, I can use a DSM center diff, swap the front ring and pinion and be all set?

Or are the GGSX transmissions that much different?

pauleyman

ggsx uses a w5m31. dsm and gvr4 use a w5m33 transmission. If you want to know what swaps get a copy of CAPS/ASA and compare. You said it slipped so he changed it. Was it towed home? On two wheels maybe?

Not towed. Broke in his driveway. (Shocker).

They are both "W" series transmissions, they have to be close.

Gunna have to drop it and split the cases, god.

Now I remember why I switched to Toyota!

cheekychimp

Quoting number638:
If that's the case, I can use a DSM center diff, swap the front ring and pinion and be all set?

Or are the GGSX transmissions that much different?

NO!

You have to swap the rear ring and pinion as well. Completely different ratios.

cheekychimp

Are you saying you originally put the GGSX rear diff into the Talon WITHOUT changing the front ring and pinion? Did you drive it like that? No problems?

No. let me get this right.

The car is a GGSX.

If you get a Talon Trans, all you have to do is swap the GGSX front ring gear into it.

This is because the talon trans will be going into a GGSX, so swapping the Rear of the GGSX is not necessary since the talon trans is in the GGSX!

If you mix up ratio between back to front, the diff will explode, no getting around that.

Either way I am just welding his Center diff up.

It would be, except I have found that welding the Center Diff in the GGSX trans is easier, then swapping the front ring (Final Drive)into a Talon trans.

GGSX + DSM trans - DSM final + GGSX final = No rear swapping.

After spending so much on this replacement GGSX trans (I have no idea how he found one), and a new clutch kit, and all the fluids and such that welding the center diff was the most prudent solution.

IF the GGSX trans was trash, then we would go on to swapping the Final ring gears (Front diff, not Center diff for Final) into a DSM trans and finding a DSM flywheel and clutch.

So hopefully we get out of the woods today after welding the center diff locked, and reinstalling it.

fuel

locking the center diff will cause hopping and skipping when cornering tightly at low speeds like moving around in a parking lot - are you sure this is wise for a daily driver?

At this point, there are no gears to replace, ever. The deed is done.

Plus, the GGSX Center diff is much smaller then the DSM center diffs, so this is the only way to ensure it will never break again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Re-installing today, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Probably get a video of low speed turning for reference.

That's what I figured.

It's the front to back that's locked, not the side to side of the front and rear diffs, because they still differentiate!

fuel

yeah but front to back still differentiate too - otherwise why would AWD cars bother to run with a center diff? I had a Cordia GT 4WD Turbo which was selectable 4WD on the high/low super-shift ratio lever - when in 4WD mode it did not have a center diff and when cornering it would often hop and skip around.

However, when the center diff is welded solid. Like it is now. The front to back is locked in 50/50.

Chirping, skipping, and other little things that people are scared of, makes no difference.

My friend wanted the car to run again in a short time. You guys know how these things just LOVE jackstands...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts