The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Clutch?

Well, I took my VR-4 to the 1/4 mile Friday night. I babied it out and ran a 13.2 on my first pass with a 2.0 60ft. I made a few passes and managed to leave the track with out breaking anything. Well, my buddy wanted to drive, and against my better judgement, I let him. He tried to launch the car at a stop sign and when he did, he didn't hold the shifter in 1st, and it popped out of gear. That's when the trouble really started. I heard a big pop, then when put in gear the car wouldn't move. After pushing for a few hundred feet, we put the car in gear and it would catch and go to about 15 mph then let go again. We had to push it the rest of the way home lol.

Yesterday I tried to put the car into gear and get it to move under it's own power, it caught and moved tie, but just for a second.

I'm thinking it's the clutch or pressure plate, I'm going to start removing the transmission and/or (transfer case) today. I found a fairly decent walk through on VFAQ. I'm really green to the dsm world, I'm coming from a v-8 back ground, and this is all new to me. Any help or tips would be great.

If it does happen to be the clutch or pressure plate, what kind do you guys recommend for a sta daily driven gvr4 that still sees the track every once in a while? (Also, the car is only making around 310awhp)

Thanks in advance for the help.

dsmtalontsi95

Doesn't sound like a clutch issue. If the car popped out of 1st then that points to the trans. It could be a coincident that it just popped out and it's the clutch giving you a problem but I don't thing it is. Try to put it in 2nd and see if you can move the car. Either way you need to drop the trans.

Brunoboy

Transfercase, axles and trans, ive down this countless times aha, you become pro after the second time. Sounds like your 1st is bad, and if you want something a little bit more beefy, have it rebuilt with a Evo 1st or a dsm 1st, Gvr4 1st gear is a weak link.

Yea, I've always had the first gear grind, which I've heard is typical in DSMs. You're saying get a 1st Evo or DSM trans? What do you mean, exactly?

EDIT: Ohhh, You're saying first gear? Got it. So who should I look to for a good transmission that will last? I daily drive it. But I do like to give it a good launch every once in a while.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunoboy

Some will say shep some says jacks I have a stage 2 TRE.

rdomeck

$700 sounds really cheap to me. Remember you get what you pay for and as the old saying goes....

If you cant find the time or the money to do it right the first time, were are you going to find the time or the money to do it right the second time?

GSX_TC

dude a shep stage 4 will run you a few grand, 700 isnt sh*t. thats a great price.

raptorWagon

Quoting brunoboy:
have it rebuilt with a Evo 1st or a dsm 1st, Gvr4 1st gear is a weak link.

To help some more
DSM 1st gear - is beefier, however it is short.
GVR4 1st gear - taller, but weaker and doesn't take kindly to launching or abuse.
Evo 3 1st gear - 11% taller than DSM 1st and pretty stout.

$700 isn't too bad for a stock rebuild, but that's for Jack's Economy stage 1 rebuild, not his Value builds which are in the 1k+. Shep's stock rebuild (stage 1) isn't much more at $945. It's still cheaper than compared to when I had to get my truck's TH400 trans rebuilt, goddamn previous owner! Planetaries, front pump, and torque converter all destroyed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif.

OZRally

I had a TRE stage 1.5 build and it took a sh*t on me in 8 months. 3rd gear cracked and I tried getting some warranty thru him and he just gave me the run around. Had it rebuilt by a local guy and he noticed that the services I paid for weren't done. I wanted tighter tolerances and 4 Torrington bearing upgrade and those weren't done. Thanks TRE

gvr4ever

I have a similar story with Shep racing. 3rd gear started popping out of gear about 6K miles after a rebuild with light street driving. I don't know who Jack is, but $700 is really cheap. I'd give that a try.

The EVO 3 1st gear sounds nice too. I don't drag race, so I don't care about 1st as much, but I wish I had put a taller 5th in.

Thanks for the Heads up guys. I really appreciate it. I'm gonna talk to Brian at the Mudpit he built a buddy's trans for his Talon, not to mention he's local. So I'll see what he quotes me.

makedollarz

Jacks transmissions is local to me (thank god), but I've gone through quite a few different trannys even after rebuilds, but I think they are extremely generous when it comes to warrenty work, or working with you on a issue/broken parts, even when it's not necessarily even their fault. When you get into the higher HP numbers, something's bound to break. Great shop, great people, good prices.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned