The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

galant es to vr4

Hey guys, let me start off by saying i know this is fairly impractical. I inherited a 2003 galant from my stepfather who passed away, he was in a racing league for several years. so as a tribute i would like to transform my galant into a vr4. so far i have sealed block holes, transplanted a dohc added turbo (along with other odds and ends) bottom line the engine is basically a 4g63t now. my first question now is, what computer would you recommend for best performance.
Now for the tricky one... how to go about converting my automatic fwd into manual 4wd. So far i believe the spyder vr4 manual transmission would work but have no idea about the rear end. your help would be greatly appreciated

GSX_TC

sorry to hear about your stepfather passing away, but i think your in the wrong forum for the generation of galant you have

you should go here click for the generation of galant you have (8th) this site is more focused on the 8th generation Galants as opposed to the 6th like this site is.

here's what an 8th Gen VR4 looks like

i4552.jpg

Last edited:

broxma

I was looking at some different model year Galants today, to see if any had a similar rear setup that would allow for the subframe to bolt up. It appears the newer cars have the lateral arm held in place by a bracket which bolts to the frame rail in the back. In addition the rear suspension uses an A arm style setup which I don't think would work unless it was a double wishbone like the 2G front end. I'm still looking into it as I was thinking about taking my entire drivetrain and dropping it into a new model for kicks.

/brox

Okayplayer

So as far as you turning your engine to a 4g63, I'm assuming you started with a 4g64 or 67. In which case, you would be best sourcing tranny, t-case, and rear end from an evo. I cannot tell you if the tranny will bolt up, or the amount of cutting/modifying you will have to do in order to make this work. To give you a bit of insight, the VR4 Mike pictured, are all twin turbo v-6, awd cars, more akin to a 3000gt, than older 4g63 cars like ours. Clubvr4.com might have better insight than us old schoolers.

Okayplayer

Quoting broxma:
I was thinking about taking my entire drivetrain and dropping it into a new model for kicks.

Funny I was looking into this setup aswell. I definitely would like to see what the outcome of this is. I wanted to go the same way, but with Evo drivetrain.

fuel

Quoting Okayplayer:
So as far as you turning your engine to a 4g63, I'm assuming you started with a 4g64 or 67. In which case, you would be best sourcing tranny, t-case, and rear end from an evo. I cannot tell you if the tranny will bolt up, or the amount of cutting/modifying you will have to do in order to make this work. To give you a bit of insight, the VR4 Mike pictured, are all twin turbo v-6, awd cars, more akin to a 3000gt, than older 4g63 cars like ours. Clubvr4.com might have better insight than us old schoolers.

The 7G and 8G VR-4s have basically nothing in common with the 3000GT. The 3000GT is based on the 1G Diamante platform which is essentially a stretched and widened 6G Galant platform. The 7G and 8G (JDM) VR-4 is multi link front and rear like the 2G DSM. I would say a 2G DSM rear end would fit into an 8G much like how they do into a 7G. The gearbox/transfer case for the 8G would be the same as the Evo4+ but the rear ends are definitely different. The V6 engine in the 7G and 8G VR-4s are the 6A1x series rather than the 6G72 in the 3000GT.

Okayplayer

Well that goes to show how far off base I was, I'll just shut up and color. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

cheekychimp

A 4G63t engine from a later model Evo fits into the 8G Galant quite nicely and the gearboxes are very similar. You can put the guts of an Evo 7 transmission (the gears themselves) into an 8G VR4 manual box but the transmission casings themselves obviously are different.

broxma

Quoting fuel:
I would say a 2G DSM rear end would fit into an 8G much like how they do into a 7G.

So my assumption today at the junkyard that the 2G rear subframe might somehow bolt onto the 7G platform was in fact correct?

/brox

fuel

should be - it appears the T/E/L are just coupe versions of the Galant platform with the 1G being mechanically similar to a 6G and the 2G a 7G etc. The US 8G front end is definitely different to the JDM 8G, the JDM 8G uses the same multi link suspension as the 7G whereas the US 8G reverted back to macpherson stuts in the front. Much like how the 2G JDM Diamante is multi-link front and rear and the US/AUS 2G is macpherson strut too.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned