The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

OFH filtered port (wtf!!!)

vtecds1

Is the port where the dummy light in the OFH filtered? The previous owner installed the oil feed line to the turbo from that port and I've been running it that way for 6k miles. Never had any problems,no shaft play(side/side or in/out) on the turbo wheel even after my rebuild. I was going to run it to the 3/8 filtered port, but after further inspection...it looked to be stripped. Maybe that was a reason why it wasn't installed there in the first place. Now, it looks like I might have to take it off and do some magic to get the plug out or buy a new housing. But if the 1/8 port is filtered, I might just re install it there.

Last edited:

grocery_getter

Lets number the ports: 1, 2 and 3 from the top to the bottom. Number 2 is filtered. Number 1 and 3 is NOT filtered.

vtecds1

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I was hoping to drive the car over the weekend, but looks like it will be going into hibernation now since I don't have the time to take out the OFH.

Thanks for the response as I was just about to run it the same way the PO had it.

Last edited:

vtecds1

Anyone know the part number for the OFH-block gasket? I got this(MD149370) from tooners but don't know if it is right.

vtecds1

I just found out the reason why the turbo feed line was ran from the dummy light port. Seems like Turbonetics has a in line oil filter connector right where the line enters the turbo. My dumbass just spent $25(fittings), $8(mini torch), $9(torx wrenches) and not to mention all the headaches on trying to get the 3/8 port off. I`m happy but pissed off at the same time. I'm going to see if I can return some of the things I bought. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

beaner

Thanks for posting that. I installed my Turbonetics this summer and was wondering what the heck that was. I thought it was just an awful fitting the previous owner had to use, but it fit too good in the CHRA. Glad I left it in there.

vtecds1

No problem...I didn't even notice it until I saw a picture of it today online. Btw, where are you running your feed line from?

grocery_getter

Its a double edge sword. Its good that they put a filter right on the inlet of the turbo. On the flip side, when was the last time you check, cleaned and flush that filter? Now think about your oil filter that you change every 3000 miles. Isn't that better? If it were me, I would put the tools that you buy to good use, take oil from the filtered port, put the line to the turbo only AFTER you pull the turbo mini oil filter and cleaned and flushed it for the last time. From that point on, the turbo oil is going to be filtered thru the engine oil filter that is going to be replaced every 3000 miles.

I have seen what is always stuck inside every FP turbo inline oil filter after a couple months of service. A lot of owner seem oblivious to the garbage that accumulates in it. You can plug that inline filter bad enough that you are not getting enough oil flow thru it. Be safe, use a throw away and replaceable filter as a pre-filter.

Quoting vtecds1:
I just found out the reason why the turbo feed line was ran from the dummy light port. Seems like Turbonetics has a in line oil filter connector right where the line enters the turbo. My dumbass just spent $25(fittings), $8(mini torch), $9(torx wrenches) and not to mention all the headaches on trying to get the 3/8 port off. I`m happy but pissed off at the same time. I'm going to see if I can return some of the things I bought. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Last edited:

beaner

Quoting vtecds1:
Btw, where are you running your feed line from?

The head. The more I searched on where to feed it from the more I realized the only people with problems are feeding from the OFH. I have about 600 miles on it so far with no issues.

vtecds1

I finally got around to taking the OFH off. My dumbass decided to take the sandwhich adapter for the coolant off and realized afterwards that I didn't have to. Coolant decided to piss all over my arm while I was under the car and I had to call my wife to run and get me a milk jug so I can drain it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Anyways...I bought 3 stainless steel BSPT fittings from McMaster which was about $30 and a OFH gasket from Satan for another $8. Since the filtered bolt was stripped, I had a guy at work take it out for me. He was laughing at me since it took him only 2 minutes to get it out while I was going at it for almost an hr and I messed up one of my fingers. I`ll try and put everything back together tonight and take some pics...

vtecds1

First picture shows which one if filtered(just in case people never seen it). The second pic shows the finished product.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned