The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Still with the Eclipse issue...Update on the bottom

Lancer99

Okay bringing this one back. I finally got the car in my garage over the weekend. Like I said before the motor turns over strongly, I had it running with no issues but I left my dad in charge to start it a couple mins a day because he didn't start it one day because he thought the battery was dead, it wasn't. After about 5 days I went over to see what happened but the battery wasn't dead and it turned over strongly but didn't fire up or even catch. So what I did during that week was:
1. Check for getting fuel-Yes
2. Check for spark-Nothing
Stopped because I didn't want to keep on driving back and forth, fast forward to now that I've checked:
1. Getting fuel-didn't check it but seems like that I may not getting it
2. Getting spark- I haven't fully checked it but I have replaced spark plugs and wires
3. Checked getting power to coil pack and resistor-Yes
4. Checked coil pack to see if it works-Yes it does
5. Checked all connections of wires, fuel, and vacuum-its all good
What else should I check? I was thinking fuel pressure regulator? I'm just getting frustrated because I had it running with no issues and now nothing besides cranking over. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Last edited:

grocery_getter

Check your spark plus. They might be fouled badly from the failed attempts.

Last edited:

Eaglesfly

If the fuel is two years old, that's more than likely your problem. What is the history on why it's been down for two years? Could be numerous things without more info, but I'm betting the old fuel and fouled plugs.

DynastyLCD

if you arent getting spark, but you have power to the coil pack and resistor below it, try another cam angle sensor. that gives the computer the signal to fire the injectors.

a simple way to test this is to remove the cam angle sensor, and spin it over by hand, and see if your fuel pump turns on. you should hear a clicking noise when you turn this.

AnotherNewb

Does the check engine light come on when you turn the key over? Whats the status of the caps in the ECU?

Lancer99

I was thinking the CAS too I do have another spare one at parents that I can pick up tomorrow. Everything is pretty much stock so I dont think the computer has ever been touched.

Lancer99

Ok so I tried a another CAS and still nothing. What would cause a perfectly running car to not run anymore? What else should I start checking? It still cranks over strongly. And I don't have anyone to help so I tried checking spark with taking out the wire and putting a screw driver in it and seeing if it sparks when cranking but I saw nothing.

Lancer99

So what does the caps in the ECU have to do with the car starting? I've testing everything and everything has tested good. And now I'm running out of ideas to test or look at.

curtis

Pull one of your new spark plug wires then insert a new plug in it and then take a wire and run it over to the neg on the battery and attach it to the threads of the plug with a pair of vice grips slightly...Then have someone try and crank and reply back what the spark looked like weak, strong, lightning etc.

Lancer99

^Thats one of the first things I did and I got nothing so thats when I started to check spark wires the coil pack and resistor..etc.

AWDnot2

If the plugs aren't wet after several failed attempts, jump the fuel pump to see if it's working.
If it's in time, has good spark, fuel and air. It should run, or at least stumble.

Last edited:

Lancer99

Success! I swapped ECU's with the VR-4 I know they were different but I took a chance and it fired right up! So now my question is what in the computer would fail to cause it to not fire up?

donkeylips

Almost every time I have a no-start it's because I was using an ecu that hadn't had the caps replaced, or a faulty ISC that took out the ecu. You say the ECUs between the gvr4 and a '91 GSX are different? They're 100% interchangeable. For what it's worth, you could even get the car started with a non-turbo ecu.

Check the area around each capacitor for leakage. They have probably leaked onto the board and damaged it. You may be able to clean it up, replace them, and be good to go. Or you may need to have someone look at it who has more experience in these matters. If it's just a non-eprom, another one can be had for about $40. If you go that route, make sure it's for a '91-'94 turbo vehicle. AT/MT have different fuel maps since the AT had 390cc injectors. And change the CAPS right after you test it out.

Lancer99

If you say their interchangeable parts then why do they have completely different part numbers?

donkeylips

All gvr4s came with EPROM ECUs. Some TELs did. Not sure what the difference in fuel maps/etc is (if there is any), but it's very minor. I've heard the fuel maps on the FWD DSM are slightly more aggressive, but not enough to notice. I've also ran an auto ecu without noticing the difference.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts